News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

loco paint match

Started by petervweimer, July 08, 2008, 04:41:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

petervweimer

Hi everybody,

I am planning an On30 Shay conversion (new tender) and would like to know which comercially available color is the closest match for the original loco color. Can anybody help?

Thanks
Peter

the Bach-man

Dear Peter,
I use Krylon Semi-flat Black and have good results.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

0n30nutz

Peter,

Ditto on the Krylon, have been using it for a lot of years... :) As an aside, I also keep Testor's clear finishes around. Gloss and flat. I also have a can of Minwax semi gloss acrylic finish handy. I've found that many times a close color match becomes almost indistinguishable when the entire loco is sprayed with a matching clearcoat. ;D
  You have to be careful not to spray wheels for fear of insulating from the track. Some finishes will also craze clear plastic, so mask windows unless you want a frosted or dirty/old look. :)
  Experiment a little, you will be pleasantly surprised ;D.

Howard
If it ain't steam, it ain't...

petervweimer

Hi again and thanks for the answers... I forgot to say that I live in Germany where the Krylon paint seems to be unavailable... Any second choice?
Still hopeful
Peter

jayl1

Did you consider Floquil or Scalecoat engine black?  I have done several steam engines using them.  Floquil may come in spray cans too.

0n30nutz

Peter,

I'm trying to post this for the fith time now...

Try your home improvement store or hardware store for a quality home use spray. Flat or semigloss works best..I like semi....
  The Floquil and Scalecoat are excellent, but can get expensive. I've been using Krylon, and others for years..

Regards,

Howard

petervweimer

Hi all,
thanks for your help up to now. One more follow-up-question: Which commercially available semi-gloss clear paint is the closest match to the "shine" of the black Spectrum-locos? It should not harm decals or dry transfers.
Regards
Peter

0n30nutz

Peter,

I use either Testor's or Tamiya clears, in all flavors...gloss, semi, and flat. All depends on what I'm doing. With any of them, the key is light coats til you get the right coverage. ;D

Howard