News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

DCC on board?

Started by Chris333, July 16, 2008, 11:34:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris333

Mr. Bachmann,

Can you please explain the extra costs involved with making locomotives that have DCC on board?  I really don't feel good about being forced to pay a extra ~$15 for a decoder that I don't want or need.

Thanks
Chris

For the DCC people. Hey I have no problems if you want to run DCC. I have no problems if locomotive are made so a decoder install will be easier.

My only problem is paying extra for you guys.
Thanks

r0bert

sorry, but we live in a digital world,
digital TV mandatory next year,
digital phones
digital radios
digital... (insert your own here)
you asked this question on a digital computer, over a digital line, to the digital world wide web.
it costs more to design, manf., catalog, market, stock, and ship two different versions of the same item, especially when the item is backwards compatible, than one complete item.
today, you would probally have to pay extra to get a car without AC. 

the Bach-man

Dear Chris,
Most of the DCC Onboard diesels have the decoder built into the circuit board. Since they are dual mode decoders, it's more cost effective.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

Yampa Bob

Chris
The extra $12 to $15 you pay for a DCC on board loco is a bargain, considering you can't even buy a decent add on decoder for that price, and the motor isolation is already done for you.  Even if you only power your track with DC, the loco will usually run smoother with the decoder installed.

DCC on board is a great asset to those with small layouts.  With an inexpensive DCC controller such as the EZ Command, you can have 5 or 6 locos on the layout at one time, run one and park it and run another, without complicated block wiring and switches, or run two at one time if you have separate loops for them.

Aside from the benefits, I have to agree with Robert, we are living in a digital world, get used to it.  Buy all your locos DCC equipped, and when you decide to take the plunge, all you need is the controller.
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

galaxy

Why are you buying DCC OnBoard locos? They are available in DC only for the  $15.00 cheaper you speak of.
I do run DCC, and look for the DCC On Board locos.BUT Any DCC OnBoard loco I have seen on any online merchant has the cheaper DC only version available just for you folks!  ;)
MY trouble is find the DCC OnBoard version of the DC only locos, regardless of price!
They all seem to be available in DC only. Its much harder to find the DCC OnBoard versions!

Pacific Northern

Quote from: galaxy on July 17, 2008, 10:03:36 PM
Why are you buying DCC OnBoard locos? They are available in DC only for the  $15.00 cheaper you speak of.
I do run DCC, and look for the DCC On Board locos.BUT Any DCC OnBoard loco I have seen on any online merchant has the cheaper DC only version available just for you folks!  ;)
MY trouble is find the DCC OnBoard version of the DC only locos, regardless of price!
They all seem to be available in DC only. Its much harder to find the DCC OnBoard versions!

Not correct.  Most of the Spectrum steamers are now DCC equipped. The Standard line also include DCC on Board models as well, in fact most of the newer models.

There are some older stock that are DCC ready but they are going fast.

Pacific Northern

richG

I bought the Richmond 4-4-0 when it first came out sometime in 2007 and it was DCC on board. i.e, DCC Equipped. I never saw a DCC Ready 4-4-0, though they might have been sold like that and I am not aware of it.
I have the 4-6-0 which comes DCC Ready.

Rich