News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Switch problem

Started by BIG DOG, March 05, 2007, 04:44:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BIG DOG

Hi,
I wasn't getting any help on the n scale page so I thought I would move it tothis location

I am having a couple of problems with my N scale EZ switches
the problem maybe connected

#1) delrailing, when the train enters the switch they derail, all 3 engines
I have a Bachmann 0-4-0 switcher, a 4-4-0 (the prairie flyer trn st one), and a Life Like Proto 2000 Alco SWB, and the all do it (the cars roll fine btw)

#2 I just bought 7 of these remotes switchesand 6 of them don't work electronically, (you can hear the motor "switch" BUT the switch points don't move, Is there anything I can do to fix these problms other than taking the items back to the store?

THANKS

Paul M.

#1. Have you checked your turnouts with a N scale NMRA gauge? If the turnouts are slightly out of gauge the trains will derail. You might also want to file the points down to a perfect angle with the rails... see another thread... maybe in the HO category...

#2. If the N scale turnouts are anything like the HO scale ones, you're missing a little wire that connects the lever on the side of the balllast to the underside of the points. One of my turnouts had this trouble... I'm still trying to get the Bachmann service department to mail me the 3" wire or replace my turnout... I'm still waiting... and waiting...

-Paul
[
www.youtube.com/texaspacific

Paul M.

-Paul
[
www.youtube.com/texaspacific

Jim

Quote from: BIG DOG on March 05, 2007, 04:44:11 PM
a 4-4-0 (the prairie flyer trn st one)

Ah, that's a real cutie for sure. Played/worked with mine over a month trying to get it to work well with two switches. Got it to, sometimes, work well in one direction - a few time really well for a few minutes.

Later realized two big bad strikes against that one:
1) is too short for reliable turnout running
2) is too light weight.

Mine looks great in the display case.  ;D I've no clue about your others. But noticed longer and heavy engines will run all day over numerous turnouts.

Also, a change to Unitrack eventually solve most troubles.  :) The turnouts are much higher quality. But the Prairie Flyer doesn't run much better there. :(

Good Luck.

BIG DOG

I looked at the Kato unitrack and it looks really good!! does some one make a uni-track to ez track adaptor? (a little grey flex stone on the EZ TRK and they will look simialr)

That was my conclusion was, it was just to light, I have just about got it fixed except for that 4-4-0 , the atlas engine doesn't do it any more, and the bachmann switcher well, I won't even go there (it stinks to be honest with ya

Jim

Hi,

I've not found an EZ track to Kato conversion. Have read it's easy enough. There should be some messages on that subkect on this board. Seems something like cut off the EZ part that sticks out and use Atlas code 80 joiners to connect. I'll try this some day as have several pieces of EZ track.

Good Luck,
Jim

Teamanglerx

On some of the switches I used a dremel to file down the throw rails.  This eliminated my derailment problem.