News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

K27 front pilot problem.

Started by helifreak, July 21, 2008, 03:52:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

helifreak

My new K27 ( Fitted with Plow ) seems to have a problem when negotiating turns and switches. The front pilot de-rails or "leaps" off the rails. The problem seems to be not enough weight over the pilot truck. I have added a plastic shim to the plate which the plunger runs against and this as reduced the problem but not fully rectified it. To help we have just about relaid three quarters of the railroad, making smoother curves, filing the switches etc all have helped but still not cured. To say I am disapointed in this loco is an understatement. My LGB Sumpter Valley / Aristo Dash 9 and Malletts have no problems on this track, only the K27, any suggestions

Andrew

Superheater

Check the gauge of the pilot truck wheels.  Should be 1.575 back-to-back.
That is usually the culprit.

John Fitch

helifreak

Many thanks John,
I never thought of that. I will measure up tommorow

regards, Andrew

helifreak

John,
Have checked as you suggested, as near as I can measure the distance is around 4cm which by my calculation is greater than 1.575 in. but is it significant enough to be the cause
of my problems

Andrew

glennk28

If you're going to measure precision measurements, a digital caliper id handy--Harbor Freight has them around $20 or so--and they will translate English/Metric readings. 

Hunt

Andrew,
Wheels 4cm (40mm) is the G1MRA standard back to back wheels dimension.

More info click, http://www.gaugeone.org/Misc/STANDARD%20DIMENSIONS%20FOR%20GAUGE%20'1'.pdf

helifreak

Thanks for the help guy's.

Andrew