BLI - Blueline HO - UP Big Boy 4-8-8-4 - Sound not working in DCC on Digitrax

Started by mopac-trains, July 23, 2008, 04:35:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mopac-trains

Hello Group,
                     I am having problems with a Blueline HO - UP Big Boy 4-8-8-4. I installed a Digitrax DCC decoder, (the one recommended by BLI), and it runs on my layout with a Digitrax - Super Chief Radio with 8 Amps. The locomotive runs perfect. The headlight and rear light work fine. The problem is the sound, or the LACK OF SOUND. There is a micro-second of sound if you ring the bell, blow the whistle, but thats it. I took the Big Boy to a friends layout with a older Digitrax Chief Radio DCC, and it ran fine with all the SOUNDS of a Big Boy. Took it back home......... same problem, NO SOUND.......... I then took it to the dealer I purchased it from, and ran it on his MRC DCC layout. Perfect sound....????
      I have changed the Digitrax decoder for another one. No help...... I checked the OpSwitches on the Digitrax control module. Nope...not it...........
  I removed the Digitrax decoder and programed the Blueline Sound decoder on the programming track. Re-installed the Digitrax control decoder, and programmed it on the programming track. NO HELP.......... NO SOUND.......???
   Any HELP from the group is Greatly Appreciated.

Thanks,
                          mopac-trains

Jim2903

Jim Dudlicek
Hoffman Estates, IL

Cascade International Ry.

Santa Fe buff

Ah, BLI, I would consider their forum. This has nothing to do with Bachmann. But I do understand that there is a lot of smart people on the boards here with great knowledge, but I think they will be better hand.
- Joshua Bauer

Yampa Bob

I'm confused. If the thing worked ok on your friend's controller, and on the dealer's controller, why did you change the decoder?

Didn't you also take the controller to the dealer, so he could see your total problem?

And am I the only one that noticed this peculiarity?  

Biggest question, am I losing my mind?  LOL  :D :) :P >:( :P
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

Jhanecker2

Good Evening Yampa Bob .  I don't think your losing your mind any faster than the rest of us . Yes it did seem that the train and decoder were working  fine everywhere but his home layout and yes he should have take his controller in along with the rest.  When things are going to Hell it  takes a very good trouble shooting plan to find whats wrong . One should resist the urge to panic and follow a logical procedure.  Hang loose but hang in.
John II

ebtbob

Good Evening All,

I talked to Paul Maynard of Lin's Junction in Lansdale,  Pa and then we tried an experiment on the test layout in the store.   The layout has the capability to be controlled by either Digitrax or NCE.   We turned on a DCC/sound equipped engine then hit the #8 button on the DT400 throttle to turn off the sound.   After that we flipped the switch to NCE,  and the engine ran,  with the sound.
      What that tells us is that when you silence and engine,  it is a function of the system and not a change in the decoder.   So....possibly,  by putting the engine on the original system and hitting the #8 button,  the sound will respond.

Bob

Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

Yampa Bob

Hi Bob

Gee I surely hope so, couldn't sleep last night.  LOL

I think you are correct.  I have the EZ command, which also uses #8 to turn sound function on and off.  I had a sound loco once, and I remember now that the sound didn't work until I activated it with the button.  On my controller at least, apparently the default is "off". I had already read the manual so there was no panic, I just hit the button.

He mentions a "micro-second of sound"  which could be a glitch in the CV when in the "mute" mode.
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.