News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

4-4-0 and 2-6-6-2 in On30 to be produced

Started by ksivils, March 05, 2007, 09:02:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ksivils

I almost hate to post this message here, but given the pestering of the poor BachMAN on this site about the desire for a 4-4-0 in On30, I can post the news so we will leave him alone on this matter.

MMI, the die-cast division of PSC, has announced a 4-4-0 to be released in both On3 and On30.  You can go to the web site for Southwest Narrow Gauge to see the exact details.

MMI will also be bringing in the Uintah/Sumpter Valley 2-6-6-2s in both On3 and On30.

With the arrival of these two locomotives, the Kentwood & Southern will only be lacking a Heisler, hint, hint, and its steam roster will be complete!

mmiller

are you referring to the Southwest Narrow Gauge Yahoo group?

I don't see anything there at all, other a snippet about someone seeing something about 4-4-0's on PSC website...and I can't find any mention of On3/On30 4-4-0's at PSC's site either...

not that I doubt your word (I've heard similar rumors), but maybe you could post a link to where the additional info is?
mike miller
San Juan Pacific Lines
On31.17 California 3' narrow gauge

Hamish K

Quote from: mmiller on March 05, 2007, 09:44:06 PM
are you referring to the Southwest Narrow Gauge Yahoo group?

I suspect this is the website ksvilis meant :

http://www.i-sng.com/On3/On3_Locomotives/Die_cast_loco/die_cast_loco.html

See bottom of the page.

I have seen these locos mentioned on other sites as well.

Personally I am not interested in either of these and hope that Bachmann does not duplicate them.

Apart from a Heisler a three truck Shay in the 55-60 ton range, an A class Climax or a Maine 2-6-2 are my suggestions for Bachmann. A small 2-4-0 tender loco, which could probably be based on the Porter as prototype locos were as small as 7 tons, could also be a nice addition.

Hamish

Hamish

mmiller

thanks a lot...

I guess I just had Yahoo stuck in my mind...
mike miller
San Juan Pacific Lines

C.P.R.R. Manager

This isn't a surprise, really.  There was an interview in the On30 Annual with the head honcho of MMI, and he mentioned a 4-4-0 there.  MMI does nice work, but their 4-4-0 will probably cost 2-3 times more than a Bachmann version.  I just don't think I can get this past the C.P.R.R. accounting department.

David(UK)

Me neither - head accountant has just done her nut after totting up my 0n30 purchases since christmas!
I did look at the prices and even at the special offer price, I think it would go down like a lead balloon - Me -'Honey, it's under $400' ( that's around £220 with customs and shipping on top ) Her indoors -  'Sweety, that's a nice weekend in Paris!"
Regards
David(UK)
Rail Baron of Leeds

ksivils

Bachmann and MMI probably compete for a slightly different market.  I probably won't get a 4-4-0, as much as I want one, but have to have a 2-6-6-2 - this will be the only truly BIG POWER on my railroad.

My favorite type of locomotives, narrow gauge or standard, are the big articulated locomotives.  I am willing to pay for one of these - it will be the "showcase" locomotive on the lay-out.  I am also willing to bet that since it is die-cast, it will be heavy and will be able to pull every piece of rolling stock I own.

Again, MMI probably gets more of the "brass oriented" modeler as their stuff is well detailed - it is just that the price of brass had become unaffordable.  Die-cast allows for nearly as detailed locomotives at a reasonable price - compared to that of the same locomotive in brass.

kenruof

I hate to burst everyones bubble but I went to www.precisionscaleco.com and looked up the 4-4-0. It is listed in the HOn3 group and not the On3/On30. Unless I am mistaken this engine is not O but HO scale  ???

I did not find any listing for the 2-6-6-2 but that does not mean it is not coming.

SWNG lists both these engines at www.i-sng.com in On3 and On30, I will wait and see before getting excited.

Ken

BIG BEAR

Bachmann isn't the first on this On30 item, But I'll still wait for theirs at 1/4 the price. My Spectrum Moguls and trolley have great plenty of detailing for my taste.   BACHMANN ALL THE WAY!!!

Barry
Barry,

...all the Live long day... If she'd let me.

epeorus

I agree.  MMI still has my K27 and can't figure out why the sound doesn't work (it ran for two feet on my test track a year ago).  I am a little put off by MMI but will consider the 4-4-0 but will gladly wait another year or two if Bachmann just hints that they will produce one instead.
The Jemez & Rio Grande, an On30 branch of the Chili Lines.

C.P.R.R. Manager

The only thing I worry about here is that if MMI builds a 4-4-0, Bachmann might delay their own 4-4-0, thinking that the market is diminished.  I'm no expert in this market, but I would think that any On3/On30 guy who would be willing to spend $400 on an MMI 4-4-0, would be more than willing to purchase another, slightly different 4-4-0 from Bachmann, if the price were in the $120-150 range.

kenruof

I agree,

Since I buy engines in 2's I would gladly pay $300~$400 for 2 4-4-0's if they are detailed and run like the B-mann 2-8-0's.

I do like the size and looks of the Rio Grand 4-4-0's but that extra $400 would buy a lot of steel hoppers that my RR is short of  ;D.

Ken

mmiller

for me it will depend on what Bachmann uses as a prototype for their hoped for On30 4-4-0...

if it's a uncommon "export-ish" or obscure prototype loco, I'd probably have to start mowing laws or something to make the extra cash needed for MMI's North American standard 4-4-0  :-[
mike miller
San Juan Pacific Lines

C.P.R.R. Manager

I would like to see the On30 4-4-0 use the same prototype as the LS 4-4-0.  I'm not sure if the prototype is the Eureka, or some catalog loco, but the lines are great.  Presumably the drawings are already done, and "just" need to be re-engineered for 1:48.  And wouldn't the Eureka look great in On30, even if we had to pay extra for the paint scheme.

Still, as pretty as a 4-4-0 would be, it wouldn't look good on 18" curves.