News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Train Quiz.

Started by Santa Fe buff, July 24, 2008, 03:37:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Santa Fe buff

Well they say you must know your history, I know there is a lot of smart people on this board, I was just wondering who could solve some Quiz questions. More for fun, and knowledge, than to compete. So the first question is:
In January, 1829- Delaware & Hudson railroad ordered 4 steam locomotives. These were the first every steam locomotives to be owned by the D&H railroad. What freak accident happened to two of the never-used locomotives? 2: Which ones got destroyed?
Answer comes after 3 guesses, or if the correct answer is given.
- Joshua Bauer

Guilford Guy

They were almost twice as heavy as originally planned, and were immediately retired after the Stourbridge Lion made its first trip.
Alex

Santa Fe buff

Quote from: Guilford Guy on July 24, 2008, 04:36:11 PM
They were almost twice as heavy as originally planned, and were immediately retired after the Stourbridge Lion made its first trip.
Ture, but not the answer!  ;)
- Joshua Bauer

Jhanecker2

Did they go down with the ship they were on?

Pacific Northern

July 3, 1829 Both the "America" & "Stourbridge Lion" are both loaded on the steamer "Congress" and shipped up the Hudson to Rondout.  There they are transferred to canal boats to the Gravity Line at Honesdale; but, no record of the "America" arriving when the boats reached Honesdale on July 24, 1829.

Summer 1829 Engines "Delaware" & "Hudson" arrive in New York and also shipped up to Rondout where all traces of them are lost.
Pacific Northern

Santa Fe buff

Quote from: Pacific Northern on July 24, 2008, 11:06:34 PM
July 3, 1829 Both the "America" & "Stourbridge Lion" are both loaded on the steamer "Congress" and shipped up the Hudson to Rondout.  There they are transferred to canal boats to the Gravity Line at Honesdale; but, no record of the "America" arriving when the boats reached Honesdale on July 24, 1829.

Summer 1829 Engines "Delaware" & "Hudson" arrive in New York and also shipped up to Rondout where all traces of them are lost.

When Delaware & Hudson arrived in Rondout, they had a engine house fire, destroying the two locomotives, but the other two were evacuated just in time. Funny how Delaware & Hudson lost Delaware & Hudson!
Next Question:
Did Peter Copper's 'Tom Thumb' for B&O beat the horses on the race back?
- Joshua Bauer

Guilford Guy

Alex

Santa Fe buff

Correct!
Tom Thumb's draft fan's axle/fan belt slipped, and the locomotive stalled.  ;D
- Joshua Bauer

Guilford Guy

Where was America's First Railway, and what was it used for.
Alex

Dusten Barefoot

Railway; as in the 1st one to have a steam locomotive or just a conventional horse drawn RR?
I know I pester the hell out of everone over a 4-6-0
E.T.&.W.N.C, TWEETSIE, LINVILLE.
www.tweetsierailroad.com
http://www.johnsonsdepot.com/crumley/tour1.htm
#12 and 10-Wheelers
Black River & Southern
Rock On & Live Strong
Dusten

Guilford Guy

First carts to be pulled down rails.
Alex

Dusten Barefoot

Then I do not have a clue.
I know I pester the hell out of everone over a 4-6-0
E.T.&.W.N.C, TWEETSIE, LINVILLE.
www.tweetsierailroad.com
http://www.johnsonsdepot.com/crumley/tour1.htm
#12 and 10-Wheelers
Black River & Southern
Rock On & Live Strong
Dusten

Santa Fe buff

Two men — Philip E. Thomas and George Brown — were the pioneers of the railroad. They spent the year 1826 investigating railway enterprises in England, which were at that time being tested in a comprehensive fashion as commercial ventures. Their investigation completed, they held an organizational meeting on February 12, 1827, including about twenty-five citizens, most of whom were Baltimore merchants or bankers. Chapter 123 of the 1826 Session Laws of Maryland, passed February 28, 1827, and the Commonwealth of Virginia on March 8, 1827, chartered the Baltimore and Ohio Rail Road Company, with the task of building a railroad from the port of Baltimore, Maryland west to a suitable point on the Ohio River. The railroad, formally incorporated April 24, was intended to provide not only an alternative to, but also a faster route for Midwestern goods to reach the East Coast than the seven-year-old, hugely successful, but slow Erie Canal across upstate New York. Thomas was elected as the first president and Brown the treasurer. The capital of the proposed company was fixed at five million dollars.[1]

~ Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baltimore_and_Ohio_Railroad
What Canel was launched the day B&O was, and what funny name was it- refering to the future of B&O.
- Joshua Bauer

Guilford Guy

Alex

Paul M.

Was it the Ohiyesa Railway Co. ?

-Paul
[
www.youtube.com/texaspacific