News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

locomotive problems

Started by geoff, July 25, 2008, 07:17:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

geoff

I just purchased 4 HO Spectrum locomotives. All have DCC on board and one has sound. I have a 4-4-0 that runs pretty well for not being broke in and I have a 2-10-0 with sound that would not hardly move out of the box but with some patience and a little lurication, it is running better all the time. I also bought a Chinese Susquahana Mikado than ran for a few seconds and now just sits and buzzes? Finally, I  bought a 2-10-2 that jerks down the track and runs terribly. Any suggestions on the two I am having broblems with? I am running an NCE sytem.

Pacific Northern

I would suggest that you try the problem engines on someone's DC system to see how they run. 

If they all run significantly better you may have a decoder problem with the Mikado.

As you mentioned they are brand new be patient be patient as  there is a break in period and remember to lightly oil the engine.

Pacific Northern

Yampa Bob

You mentioned having an NCE system, so I have to ask, did you fiddle with the CVs before breaking in the locomotives?

Always run a DCC loco on DC power for a thorough breakin, before putting it on DCC power.  Don't try to fix something that isn't broken, the locos are programmed at the factory for good running.

If the loco won't breakin properly, send it back for a refund.

I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

grumpy

I have approximately 40  steam locos of different mfg. I have had  only one with a problem ; a Bachman 2-10-2 . It was returned by the LHS and I received a replacement about 6 weeks later. I run all my loco's on DC to check operation and break in. I do not understand how many modelers have so many problems. I have a suspition that they just have to take them apart to make them better.!\
Don

geoff

I do not do anything to change CV's until I know the Unit is OK! Then I usually confine myself to the address and souns levels. I have quite a few BLI locomotives and several Proto 2000 steamers as well. I also have two TRIX Big Boys and one Mike along with an Intermountain AC12. None of them had any problems right out of the box accept the AC12, it was a little tight. For the most part they all ran like a Swiss watch right out of the box. Only my many Bachmanns either run great or run like crap with out much in the middle. I have also found that the ones that run crappy usually don't get much better. I have three 2-10-2's. Two run well and this last one runs absolutely terrible. The Susquhana Mike ran for a short time and now just buzzes. I will run the Mike on DC and possibly do a decoder reset. If that does not work I will send the Mike and the 2-10-2 to Bachmann for repair or replacement!