News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bring back the Climax

Started by Pacific Northern, July 26, 2008, 02:37:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pacific Northern

This seemed to be a very popular engine. It certainly had a short manufacturing lifespan before they were discontinued.

I would like to hear back from those members who were lucky enough to obtain one of these engines what they think of them as far as running aspects and reliability.

Are there gear problems or other issues that perhaps would explain why they have disappeared?
Pacific Northern

WoundedBear

I had two on my layout. Both suffered from driveline problems. One got repaired, the other was beyond hope and was replaced with a Shay.

Limit their loads and keep the speed down. I keep my fingers crossed that my surviving one keeps on hauling.

Sid

Pacific Northern

WoundedBear

Would you purchase the Climax engine again if it was available or would you opt for the Shay or someother engine? Perhaps a Rivarossi Heisler or ?

I wondered if there may have been problems with the Climax that may have resulted in the engine being prone to failure. Too unreliable to market in the long run.

Sure is a nice looking engine.
Pacific Northern

WoundedBear

I'd purchase another Climax in a heartbeat. Even as they are now, the ones out there seem to stand a 50/50 chance of survival.

If Bachmann could update the driveline a bit.....a substitution of metal for some of the plastic parts in the driveline.....all would be good.

The only other option is for BMann to stock a huge quantity of spare parts and release them again, unchanged.

Sid

the Bach-man

Dear All,
I'll pass along this thread.
Thanks!
the Bach-man

Frisco

Mine broke due to the drive line and got sent back to be reaplaced by the shay. Since then one  day I brought the shay out of its box to run it when I put it on the track it would only run in reaverse since I could not find any-thing rong with it it will be going back to Bachmann.

martin_lumber

Maybe it's possible that the 2 truck Climax was stopped because Bachmann has a 3 trucker in the works.

Phil

TrampTrader

I, for one, am fascinated by both the Climax and the Shay locomotives. If some of their operating & dependability problems could be addressed, I would love to add one or both to my collection.

Pete  :-)

BaltoOhioRRfan

I;ve got 4 of them, 2 (1 thanks to my dogs) have drive line problems. The other i got ASIS and set the rear truck to drive it while the front is a dummy. I don't expect to give it heavy loads, at the most 3 OT Passenger cars. Or when we get them 3 or 4 of the Open Excursion Cars. The one that i have a feeling is un fixable will be put on a flat car and sitting at a siding near my musuem.
Emily C.
BaltoOhioRRFan
B&O - America's #1 Railroad.

My Collection on FB - https://www.facebook.com/EmilysModelRailroad
My Collection on YouTube = https://www.youtube.com/user/BORRF

Pacific Northern

Quote from: BaltoOhioRRfan on July 31, 2008, 10:20:35 AM
I;ve got 4 of them, 2 (1 thanks to my dogs) have drive line problems. The other i got ASIS and set the rear truck to drive it while the front is a dummy. I don't expect to give it heavy loads, at the most 3 OT Passenger cars. Or when we get them 3 or 4 of the Open Excursion Cars. The one that i have a feeling is un fixable will be put on a flat car and sitting at a siding near my musuem.

Well from the incident rate note in this topic it does appear that these engines may will have a drive line problem. Perhaps quality control (testing) was also less than desired and  defective units released to the public. 

It is unfortunate that if you ended up with a defective unit there are no replacements from Bachmann as the unit is discontinued. 

If there is another production run I would certainly consider buying one. Would also be checking the forums for feedback as well.
Pacific Northern

BaltoOhioRRfan

Quote from: Pacific Northern on July 31, 2008, 12:04:59 PM

Well from the incident rate note in this topic it does appear that these engines may will have a drive line problem. Perhaps quality control (testing) was also less than desired and  defective units released to the public. 

It is unfortunate that if you ended up with a defective unit there are no replacements from Bachmann as the unit is discontinued. 

If there is another production run I would certainly consider buying one. Would also be checking the forums for feedback as well.

I bought one of them defective becuase i thought we couldn't get anymore and no one was buying it and i wanted it. The three i got after we got  more of them(we being the store i work at) were not defective. All three suffered damage when my dogs got up on my work table and i was only able to repair two of them.
Emily C.
BaltoOhioRRFan
B&O - America's #1 Railroad.

My Collection on FB - https://www.facebook.com/EmilysModelRailroad
My Collection on YouTube = https://www.youtube.com/user/BORRF

Pacific Northern

Quote from: BaltoOhioRRfan on July 31, 2008, 03:05:13 PM
Quote from: Pacific Northern on July 31, 2008, 12:04:59 PM

I bought one of them defective becuase i thought we couldn't get anymore and no one was buying it and i wanted it. The three i got after we got  more of them(we being the store i work at) were not defective. All three suffered damage when my dogs got up on my work table and i was only able to repair two of them.

What bad luck. At least it lessens the drive train problem.  I would purchase one of the Climax engines without hesitation and keep it as a light duty engine. There are few out there.  Perhaps if Bachmann does not re-release the Climax one of the other manufactures will. If nothing else they are available in brass sometimes at quite reasonable rates.
Pacific Northern