Will the the forum's errors and bugs be fixed?

Started by rogertra, July 29, 2008, 01:27:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rogertra

This new forum has been up and running for sometime now and the various bugs mentioned by us users when it was first installed still do not seem to have been addressed.

Mr. B., is anything being done?

ebtbob

Roger,

For the better part of two weeks now,  unless I am at work where I have to log into the site everytime,   I cannot do anything with this forum except read posts.   
      I have tried to logout,  but get a message that said something has failed so log out and try to log in again.   Well,  I cannot log out so I cannot try anything.   I tried to delete my account,  nothing.

Bob
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

Pacific Northern

Even before the change in the format this forum has been flaky to say the least.  The incident of problems logging in or not connecting was quite high.

I would have to wonder if the server on which this site is hosted is not suspect.
Pacific Northern

Yampa Bob

Before I log in, I read all the threads to see if there is something I want to post. If I have a long thread to post, like my "current test", I write it up in Wordpad first, then paste it after I log in to save time. 

If and when  I log in, I just accept the default 60 min and leave the box unchecked. So far that has worked ok.  I record the time I log in, so I don't get logged out right in the middle of a post.  If you get an error message, all you can do is delete your cookies, then you can log in again.

Sometimes I just have to wait until my 60 minutes expires, then it logs me out automatically, then log back in again.  It's a pain in the you know what.

The javascripts are so invasive they have practically ruined my system, even had to reformat one time.  Takes forever for stuff to load, but that's my problem with my slow dialup.  As you said, I have seen no improvements at all, but no one will listen to the membership.  I think they should just scrap the thing and go back to the old version, at least it worked. 

It would seem since the members do all the work and take time to help people, we should have some say about the format.  Nope...it's pretty obvious they don't care about those of us on dialup either.  I actually consider it discrimination in a way.

I've been very patient about this, but I'm getting pretty irritated.  The membership probably represents only a tiny percentage of visitors to the site, so we are very much in the minority, but without members this forum is dead.  Long live the Forum, but I'm about to give up on it.    
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

richG

I have no issues with the forums. Like Bob, I read the forums without signing in.
I sign in only to post a message and then sign out like I do with any other forums.
I use a Linux operating system, Ubuntu 8.04, and Firefox 3.0 browser. I also use Xandros and Freespire OS and no issues.
I only stay logged in with Yahoo forums of which I subscribe to twelve groups.
When I close Firefox ALL personal data, cookies are deleted. No problems.

Rich

rogertra

I tried three times to click on the "Modify" button to correct the typo in the header (the the) but each time I got the "time out" error message.

I at least still can't post without first "previewing" my message.

BTW Bob, don't give up, your contribution is appreciated.

rogertra

Quote from: richG on July 29, 2008, 04:23:25 PM
I have no issues with the forums. Like Bob, I read the forums without signing in.
I sign in only to post a message and then sign out like I do with any other forums.
I use a Linux operating system, Ubuntu 8.04, and Firefox 3.0 browser. I also use Xandros and Freespire OS and no issues.
I only stay logged in with Yahoo forums of which I subscribe to twelve groups.
When I close Firefox ALL personal data, cookies are deleted.

Rich

Rich.

All you are doing is avoiding the problems, you're not solving them.  They still exist.

As for whatever operating system, antivirus etc., it's irrelevant.
It happens to everyone.

richG

Well it is a mystery. I just signed in again and modified my previous message with no issues. Signing out after posting seems to solve the issue. Workis for me.

Rich

Yampa Bob

Roger,
Thanks for your kind comment and support.  Although I have only been in this hobby for about 2 years, I have learned a lot and like to help whenever I can. Sometimes I do feel my small contributions aren't appreciated, one of my failings is that I am very sensitive.  So again Thank You.

I have tried other forums, but since I am almost blind, this one is the only one I can read.  Trying to type out a post is excruciating, so I do most write ups in Wordpad and paste.  Luckily I have always been a touch typist, and the preview is large enough to see mistakes.  It has already taken me 15 minutes to type and check this post.

Maybe you have already tried this...close the forum, then delete your cookies.  Then open the forum and log in for 60 minutes, leave the "always logged in" box empty.  After logging in that way, you should be able to modify the title, and do other things ok until it times you out.  I'll check back to see if it got changed.

If I am getting close to being timed out, it will let me "log out", then log back in for a renewed  60 minutes.  I tried setting the time to 90 minutes, but that didn't work as well for some reason.

Good luck
Bob

Yampa Bob

It's getting worse.  It used to take about 15 seconds for a new page to load, now it takes as long as 2 minutes.  This is absolutely ridiculous.  I figure I spend a couple hours each night staring at a bright blue background.  Then when it does load, the page jumps up and down like a yoyo before settling down.

I think we are on the verge of another major server crash.  

the Bach-man

Dear All,
It is being worked on. For what it's worth, I'm having various issues as well.
I'm sure it will improve.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

RAM

Bob, I don't have any problem with loading.   To me it is as fast as it ever was.

Yampa Bob

Then you probably have broadband.  Surfers who have never experienced dialup don't understand the grief we go through. I got by fine with the old html format, it's the java xhtml that locks me out.

Also, I don't get to see many of the pictures posted because no one reduces them before uploading.

pdlethbridge

I still have time out issues when posting and I have issues with the modify button. Bob, your not sensitive, your just easily irked!  ;D

Guilford Guy

Forum won't let me modify my profile, or logout, and the session timing out comes up when I try to post...
Alex