News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Which decoder to buy?

Started by firemansteve, March 06, 2007, 11:49:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

firemansteve

Just bought a new spectrum dash 8-40cw that is dcc ready. Just curious as to which decoder to install? Would appreciate any input. Thanks.

Nathan

Everyone that has a DCC decoder will say 'Use this One, or 'Don't use That One'.

First, which DCC system do you plan to use it on?  Do you want Sound?  Is the 'quality' of the sound more or less important the the quality of running the locomotive?  Will you use the loco mostly at home or at a club?

If there is a 'Plug and Play' decoder avaliable, it will take less time to install then a generic one.  If you already have a DCC system by a manufacture, take a look at that Web Site and see what they have.  If you club uses a DCC system, take a look at the Web Site for that system.

You may want to look at Web Site's such as Tony's Train Exchange http://tonysdcc.com/ or Loy's  Toy's http://loystoys.com/ and see if they have any 'reviews' on the equipment you are looking at.

If you have a good local DCC hobby shop, stop by and talk to them on what they have found works.

I do not use sound in any of my loco's, so I have decoders by NCE since that is the system I use.  I use NCE because it meets my needs.  Your needs may be different.  NCE has a good warranty, and is easy to get up and running.  They have a good price range of decoders.  For HO the PowerCab system is worth a look if you do not have a system.  They do have 'Plug and Play' decoders for a good number of Bachmann units.

Nathan

Nigel

First make a list of the features that you want; for example

• slient running
  • control for ditch lights
  • bemf motor control
  • etc
Once you have a list of what you want the decoder to do and/or control; visit your dealer, and ask for a decoder with those features.

My dealer is Tony's. http://www.dcctrains.com/tonystips/dccprimer/index.htm
Nigel
N&W 1950 - 1955

JoshatTonys

Steve,
I work for Tony's Train Exchange, my recommendation is to simply go with the BACH-DSL from NCE it's silent running and damn near bullet proof. Not a lot of functions but without installing your own special lighting that loco shouldn't need a lot anyway. If you want to go with sound the best option at this point is ESU. This can be a bit hard to swallow at 109.95 a piece but they are very nice decoders. The issue that most people have with ESU historically is that the horn volume is not sufficient enough to be clearly heard over the prime mover. The solution to this is in ESU's open source file format. I've had great success using the loksound programmer in addition to the freeware program Audacity. You can pull specific files from esu's sound "schedule" import them to audacity, edit them to your liking and then drop them back onto the decoders flash memory. This enables you to adjust EVERY single nuance of the decoders sound output. If you have any questions about this you can call me at Tony's at 800-978-3472 ext. 100