News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Daylight Savings Time change

Started by Bill Baker, March 06, 2007, 11:58:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Baker

For anyone that doesn't know, daylight savings time will change the second Sunday in March.  Back in August of 2005 President Bush signed the Energy Policy Act of 2005 into law. Part of this law is a change to how Daylight Savings Time (DST) will be observed beginning in March 2007.  DST used to begin the first Sunday in April and ended the first Sunday in October.  Starting in 2007, DST will begin the second Sunday in March and end the first Sunday in November.

Since many computer applications and systems automatically adjust for DST, they will have to be updated.

Bill
Bill

Seasaltchap

Bill :

Technical point - "For anyone that doesn't know,........."

"That" is the impersonal for a thing, whereas for the personal it is "who" or "whom".

This is a common mistake in English.

Regards
Phoenix AZ: OO enthusiast modelling GWR 1895-1939, Box Station Wiltshire; S&DJR Writhington Colliery, Nr. Radstock.

Interested in making friends on the site with similar interests.

Rich R

Ah yes,

But did you end your statement with a period, or a full stop?

The British car? The one that has the same name as a large jungle feline? Made by Ford? Pronounced how?

I've been barking up that same tree for so long now I don't know where it's at!

We are two countries separated by a common language indeed.

( I thought Microsoft released a patch for the daylight saving time bit a few weeks back?)

Ta!
Rich R

Seasaltchap

It's God, not Gad for me.

I use the English vowel sounds, however there are many who use the -gw- in Jaguar: I think they rely on the OED

My feeling is that -gw- would require a spelling of "qu", which may indeed be an old style of spelling.
Phoenix AZ: OO enthusiast modelling GWR 1895-1939, Box Station Wiltshire; S&DJR Writhington Colliery, Nr. Radstock.

Bill Baker

And the only thing I wanted to do was notify everyone of the time change. :-[
Bill

Rich R

Quote from: Bill Baker on March 06, 2007, 02:49:05 PM
And the only thing I wanted to do was notify everyone of the time change. :-[

Bill,

And you certainly did that! Thanks for the reminder as we'll all wake up the morning after with our computers all cocked up but speaking perfect English. Now how great is that!  ;D

Cheers,
Rich R

Seasaltchap

Think yourselves lucky you are not caught in the experiment of 20 years  ago Double British Summer Time.

Road crashes increased and more kids were killed on the roads going to school - but we still had to try it!

tiny

DIRECTOR OF IMPORTANT STUFF

Seasaltchap

"Queen Anne is dead!"

Thanks Bill.

rperego

SeaSaltChap,

The use of "that" instead of "who" following "anyone" is arguable.   Who is appropriate referring to a person and that is appropriate for groups or things.  However, a group could be a group of people - like a team, committee, etc.

"Anyone" as used in the sentence in contention here can be interpreted as the group of people who don't know..."  In this case "that" is proper.   As the dictionary points out, any one (with the space) more specifically refers to "any single memer of a group or persons or things".

Had "any one" been used, rather than anyone, I would agree with you.  Should you want to continue the debate, I'll bet you one Bachmann G scale Caboose I don't need against a Chattanooga observation car if you have one.

Bob :)

Terry Toenges

Bob - I don't remember ever being a memer of anything. ;D
Maybe I just don't rememer. :o
Feel like a Mogul.

Seasaltchap

Good on you Terry !

I'll rememer it too !

bevernie

Actually, I think it's high time we all revolt!! I mean, who do they think they are really fooling with this DAYLIGHT SAVINGS TIME junk? All they've got to do is start an hour earlier, without telling the whole world to do so!! I'm personally tired of all this CRAP!! For weeks after the time change, twice a year, my body has to adjust for the different time!! Why can't "they" just LEAVE IT ALONE!!!
                                   THANX!! I needed to say that!!
                                                                                             Ernie
www.3abn.com   www.amazingfacts.com    www.bibleinfo.com

Bill Baker

Yeah Ernie, I know what you mean.  On top of all this just think what the added hour of sunlight will do to the crops!   ;D

Honestly, there was a guy in the Tennessee legislature that voted against daylight savings time becuase he thought it would ruin the crops.  ???
Bill

Seasaltchap

There is always a commercial interest in everything.

Today the discussion is about the extra hour of light in the evenings bringing more people out to the shops.

We now have 8 months of Summer Time, and only 4 months of STANDARD Time.
again, so much for anything standard!

Come to sunny Arizona where time stands still, and is the same all year round. We do not change our clocks.