News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Atlas #205 connector

Started by SteamGene, August 02, 2008, 02:53:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteamGene

The Atlas #205 connector is the three on/off switch set, able to be daisy chained, used for turning power on and off to spurs, blocks, etc.  I'm using them for my loco storage tracks and probably the visible yard tracks which will also often have locos on them, and the engine facility, to avoid a power surge when I turn power on.  
The question is - can they go bad?  I bought some on eBay and one seems to not work at all.  
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

pdlethbridge

I bought some new selectors, controllers, etc. And at best they work poorly but they do work. Maybe I'm to heavy handed. ::)

SteamGene

I've never had any problem with them before.  Stdrange thing is that the one that may be giving trouble is hooked to the next one, which works fine.  The others, to control the west engine storage tracks, all work fine. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

Yampa Bob

Try spraying it full of Radio Shack contact cleaner, soak it good over a paper towel, then slide it back and forth vigorously. You may have to do it several times. Shake or blow out the excess and let the stuff evaporate.   

Not so strange, daisy chain just busses the current through, but a switch can still be bad in the line. I've never been fond of slide switches, though they are compact.
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

pdlethbridge

those slide switches were never really any good, better off with mini toggles

SteamGene

Thanks for the suggestions.  I do have to budget for some things - after all.  ;D
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

Santa Fe buff

Those are great ideas. I'll note that to my friend that Atlas carries these products.
- Joshua Bauer

Yampa Bob

Steam Gene on a budget?  What's a budget?  My wife's favorite expression  is "It's only money".

I don't know if my layout will ever reach the point of needing lots of switches, other than 4 remote turnouts.  I like the micro toggle switches, with color coded handles. You can stack a bunch of them in a small experimenter box.
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

grumpy

My wife's favourite expression is ( do you really need that).
Don

Santa Fe buff

My mom's is <Ah, a new diesel, NO! -unless you want to clean for me.> But instead of a train engine, she handed me a thing called "money"  ??? . Who uses that :D !?
But I was saving up to were I had 110 dollars, for an HO scale train set, but woke up, and found out she put it in my savings!  :( , well it's good after all, I have more money for a lap top for collage.  :) <But I helped her save it  ;) .>
- Joshua Bauer