News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Hook up for power pack

Started by WGL, August 03, 2008, 02:53:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WGL

I currently have my power pack connected to an 18" Radius Curved Terminal Rerailer with Hook up Wire.  I am considering a concentric layout requiring 22" radius Power-Loc track to encompass the 18" radius layout, enabling me to run two trains on the separate ovals, but I can't find 22" radius Curved Terminal Rerailer with Hook up Wire.   How could I connect a power pack to the outer oval without using 18" radius curved terminal rerailer with hook up wire?

trainmanchris

couldn't u use 9" stright termanel tracks??? :-\

SteamGene

Or you could drill two small holes on the outside of the rails - one beside each rail, and solder your leads to the rails.  
Easier would be to buy the Atlas rail joiners with short leads already attached, and then splice your leads to the joiners.  
Both methods work well and are a lot less expensive.  
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

WGL

Trainmanchirs,

I would like to use 9" straight terminal track, if I could find it in PowerLoc.  I haven't done any drilling & wiring.

Santa Fe buff

Why no just simply solder the wire to the rail? But I would go with the 9" terminal, unless it's an entire circle, but you used the term 'oval' so I guess I has some straights?
- Joshua Bauer

trainmanchris

WGL

Santa Fe Buff,

I have a 6.5' x 13' layout with a lot of straight track.  I just haven't found straight terminal track.

SteamGene

Again, try option two - get some Atlas rail joiners with a power lead soldered to them  Then coonect those leads to the wire from your power pack.  You can put the joiners anywhere you want them.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

Conrail Quality

Gene, Power-Loc track doesn't use rail joiners, so he'd have to remove some of the ties for that option to be viable. The easiest option in this situation might be to simply solder the wires directly to the rails themselves.

Timothy

Timothy

Still waiting for an E33 in N-scale

SteamGene

Ah - a little learning.  I have the Bachmann "easy" track from a Hogwarts Express set and from a Hawthorne Village set.  The rest of the easy stuff I've never even really looked at.  Yeah.  Drsill and solder.
Chief Brass Hat

Jhanecker2

Try finding some of the adapter tracks and adding the terminals to that. The adapters connect to the Power-Lock tracks at one end and allow you to connect  rail  joiners to the other end so you can connect to E-Z Track or Atlas or any other track type.

Santa Fe buff

Quote from: Conrail Quality on August 05, 2008, 08:16:15 PM
Gene, Power-Loc track doesn't use rail joiners, so he'd have to remove some of the ties for that option to be viable. The easiest option in this situation might be to simply solder the wires directly to the rails themselves.

Timothy

Tim,
Is it not possible to crop down a rail joint shorter and use it when you use a screwdriver to pry out the power connection things? I'm used to power-loc track, and have experimented with 'adapting' it. But if that fails, Tim's idea is just as good.
~Josh
-Yeah, that's my name, but no last ones!
- Joshua Bauer

WGL

Thanks for all of the suggestions.  I'll print them out.  I don't understand why one can't get straight Power-Loc track with terminals.  What is the point of putting them only on 18" radius curved track?  Why not on 22" radius curved track?  Maybe Walthers has a suggestion box.  If EZ track had straight track with terminals, I could use Power-Loc adapters to integrate it.

Jhanecker2

WGL : E-Z track has two straight power tracks , one is a rerailer & the other is a 9  inch straight with an insulated gap . Check Products . I guess Power- Lock is made for beginner layouts it has insufficient  variety in track types.

Santa Fe buff

Quote from: WGL on August 06, 2008, 02:44:39 AM
Thanks for all of the suggestions.  I'll print them out.  I don't understand why one can't get straight Power-Loc track with terminals.  What is the point of putting them only on 18" radius curved track?  Why not on 22" radius curved track?  Maybe Walthers has a suggestion box.  If EZ track had straight track with terminals, I could use Power-Loc adapters to integrate it.
Mostly for that Life-Like just thinks that people only use <well mostly use> 18 radii terminals, simply put:
Life-Like doesn't make 9" or any straight terminals.
Josh
- Joshua Bauer