News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

New Steam Loco

Started by Ozzie21, August 03, 2008, 08:51:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ozzie21

The first new build steam loco in the Uk in nearly fifty years ran under its own power. "Tornado" , an LNER A-1 class design, is described as not a replica but the 50th loco of a class that was built in the 1948/49 period.
Follow the links to learn more.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/7536023.stm

http://www.a1steam.com/

Charles Emerson
Queensland
Australia

SteamGene

Neatd story.  Is it a Ten Wheeler or a Pacific, Charlie?
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Pacific Northern

Pacific Northern

Ozzie21

Gene, it's a 3 cylinder pacific. it has a 250psi boiler and developes about 37,400lbs of tractive effort. On the east coast main line where these locos used to run they hauled 550ton trains at about 90mph+.

This a picture of one I am building.

Regards
Charles Emerson
Queensland
Australia

Quote from: SteamGene on August 03, 2008, 12:59:42 PM
Neatd story.  Is it a Ten Wheeler or a Pacific, Charlie?
Gene

Joe Satnik

In the BBC writeup:

"Eighteen years later, and thanks to that shared vision and determination, Tornado has turned her wheels in anger for the first time."

(My added "bold" emphasis.)

Neat expression...  I've never heard it before in that context.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik 

If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

ASIANLIFE

Actually this is not quite the first new-build steam locomotive in the Uk for 50 years, as there have been new-builds for narrow-gauge; as per below examples quoted from Wikipedia

Graham Lee, in business with an engineering works situated at Statfold Barn Railway near Tamworth in Staffordshire, has in 2005 and 2006 constructed two new Quarry Hunslet locomotives (named Statfold and Jack Lane) similar in appearance to Irish Mail pictured above. In January 2007 Jack Lane was offered for sale by the manufacturers for £152,750 (Railway Magazine, February 2007). The third of a series of four locomotives is currently under construction.

Whilst checking this on the internet, I saw this youtube link, showing a 1946 Hunslet loco having some trouble with a rake of wagons, and requiring ''human-power''

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aa2ZrYolKBk&feature=related#

Ozzie21

All quite true. I should have said "Mainline steam" or standard gauge steam. There have been one or two locos in the UK that would almost qualify as new build in terms of the amount of work carried out in replacing worn or missing parts.

Charles Emerson
Queensland
Australia

Quote from: ASIANLIFE on August 06, 2008, 01:13:44 AM
Actually this is not quite the first new-build steam locomotive in the Uk for 50 years, as there have been new-builds for narrow-gauge; as per below examples quoted from Wikipedia

Graham Lee, in business with an engineering works situated at Statfold Barn Railway near Tamworth in Staffordshire, has in 2005 and 2006 constructed two new Quarry Hunslet locomotives (named Statfold and Jack Lane) similar in appearance to Irish Mail pictured above. In January 2007 Jack Lane was offered for sale by the manufacturers for £152,750 (Railway Magazine, February 2007). The third of a series of four locomotives is currently under construction.

Whilst checking this on the internet, I saw this youtube link, showing a 1946 Hunslet loco having some trouble with a rake of wagons, and requiring ''human-power''

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aa2ZrYolKBk&feature=related#

USOA

Any of you guys seen Tornado on her mainline load testing train doing up to 75mph?
If not go to YouTube. Just key in 60163 and the most recent date section. Amazing the public interest considering it's night time.

ebtnut

I believe that the Ffestiniog has also essentially built a couple of "new" locos in the past couple of decades.  Winterthur in Switzerland also built a couple of new locos in the '90's for some of the rack railways in Europe.