News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Soundtraxx PTB-100 Power Supply

Started by CNE Runner, August 03, 2008, 09:17:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CNE Runner

Recently I posted a request for information regarding my inability to program Bachmann 4-4-0s with the MRC Prodigy Advanced. Your solution was to acquire a programming booster. Given that the 4-4-0s come with a Soundtraxx decoder, I decided on their programming booster (PTB-100). All was well until I came across the following in the installation directions: ...you may purchase and use a dedicated power supply rated at 15vDC, 500mA. My problem is that I cannot find such a power supply. A Google search and a call to Radio Shack got me nowhere...Soundtraxx doesn't even sell a power supply for their own product!

In despiration, I tried eBay and found two power supplies: 15vDC, 400mA and 15vDC, 800mA. The seller of the 800mA model assured me that it would work "just fine". While my knowledge of electronics is limited to changing light bulbs, I am certain of the fact that electronics are very easily damaged by incorrect input voltages.

My question is: Where does one buy a 15vDC, 500mA power supply? I have written to Soundtraxx and haven't received a reply (and probably won't). Any suggestions would be helpful. As always...thanks!
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

CNE Runner

I thought I would answer my own post in an effort to provide someone else with the information I have just attained. Today I happened to sit next to an aerospace electrical engineer at HSV. I asked him about my power supply problem and he said as long as the output of the power suppy was greater than the requirements of the circuit there wasn't a problem. The problem lies in having a power supply that is too small.

Upon my return home, I was pleased to receive a reply from the Model Railroader forum that echoed the same advice. I hope this helps someone else out there. If you are trying to program a Soundtraxx (or other advanced sound decoder) with the MRC Prodigy Advanced DCC unit; you will need a programming booster. BTW: those Bachmann American 4-4-0s are sweet runners.
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

hminky

I  use a Bachmann train set power pack, works fine.

Harold