What rolling stock would we like to see in the future?

Started by ksivils, August 04, 2008, 11:57:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ksivils

We modelers always seem to be interested in new locomotives that we
would like to see produced rather than new rolling stock.
Understandable of course as the locomotives are the "stars" of the
action so to speak.

Bachmann has done an excellent job of producing a reasonably wide
range of rolling stock in its On30 line and I would imagine they sell
more rolling stock than they do locomotives - I could be wrong.

There are only three pieces of rolling stock that I would love to see
Bachmann introduce to its product line. Everything else I can want or
need is either already in production, available from another
manufacturer, or best of all, can be kitbashed from existing in
production rolling stock.

I really would like to see a 24-25 ft. steel box car brought into
production. I would imagine that the same underframe casting could
then be used to make an all steel flat car, and possibly a tank car by
adding a tank to the flat car sans the deck. Some narrow gauges
modernized in an effort to survive.

I really want to see a closed vestibuled coach similar to those used
on the Rio Grande's San Juan/Shavano run and by the ET&WNC, shortened
to the same length as the current Bachmann coaches.

And last on my list, a parlor car with an observation platform on one
end and a closed vestibule on the other. I would settle for the
kitbashing/splicing an existing Bachmann parlor car with a "closed
vestibule" coach to make one though.

What else in terms of rolling stock would other On30 modelers like to see?

Tomcat

Something fitting to the SR&RL Forneys, let´s say some Maine-typical Boxcars, in fact Bach-man could make some pretty easy if the front and rear end hatches are missing on the model - they looked very similar to the C&S Boxcar Bachmann already produces...

Shortenend SR&RL or WW&F (No I don´t want to press that hard for a full length Coach or Combine...) Passenger Equipment to accompany the Forneys which deserve some stuff to pull along. Or, some kind of variation from the Bachmann Combine, the WW&F triple Combination Car "Taconet" - a Jackson&Sharp Prototype from 1901 - a beauty with its lining...

A Plow such as SR&RL 513 which could be built up on a Flat Car Body.

Logging Disconnects for all the Loggers out there... :D :D :D

TOM ;D

ossygobbin

Royce Wilson

I think if Bachmann made a steel box car then could  it be taken into consideration about making it a outside frame?   would make it more intresting. ;D :
how about putting a four wheel truck under the existing On30 caboose making it a nice bobber? :o
and last but not least, that log skidder that you made in HO....MAN!!! you should have made that in O scale Bachmann! >:(

Royce Wilson ::)

C.S.R.R. Manager

My request would be for On30 versions of the newer LS freight cars, including the new long caboose.  I think the frameless tank car would also be popular.

LurchBird

As was mentioned in another thread, how about some cars used to haul sugar cane out of the fields?  Something with a Caribbean and/or Hawaiian flavor.

Mark

Royce Wilson

YES......YES.....YES......YES.......YES......YES........YES.........YES.........YES!!!!!!!
I would rather have the On30 versions of the new large scale stuff also but heck everything seems to be going to sugarcane or pure 30inch.
                                         OR
I would like to see the present On30 box car made with ladders that are truly seperate and doors that can be made to be removable to operate in either direction....a kit bashers delite!!!!

Royce Wilson

Dusten Barefoot

How a bout a bigger caboose? Like an EBT one, those were close enough for the ET&WNC. Or some new coaches. I really like the idea of the steel box car, and flat,  but has anyone considerd new styles of logging cars. I would like to see some longer versions of the ones we have now.
I know I pester the hell out of everone over a 4-6-0
E.T.&.W.N.C, TWEETSIE, LINVILLE.
www.tweetsierailroad.com
http://www.johnsonsdepot.com/crumley/tour1.htm
#12 and 10-Wheelers
Black River & Southern
Rock On & Live Strong
Dusten

aussie30inch

Hello

I would also like to see a new caboose perhaps a small bogie type like the RGS had or EBT , another 2 types that would go well are a steel box and steel fish belly flat. One wagon that is a little left field could be a steel gondola. our narrow gauge here in Australia had many different type as do South Africa so there could be a new idea there

Geoff

aussie 30inch

Royce Wilson

Dusten,

I would have thought you would have beat the drums for the ET&WNC trailer hauler, now thats a unique item!. the flat would be easy to scratch ,but the trailer would be another story. this would go nice with your ten wheeler, the only thing else needed would be those unique passenger cars (truly a  nice road).....don't waste request on log cars they are easy to build. ::) OH and by the way if the Bachmann had made a Mason Bogie the guys on the South Park group would still be dancing a irish jig even if the window spaces are wrong :-\

Royce Wilson

Dusten Barefoot

Ok I will beat the drum's and give out a war cry, but I thought people were a little tired of my badgering of ET&WNC,  Yes, one of those piggy backs would be awesome, also a ET&WNC caboose, and finally but not least, the ET&WNC Coach/ Combine 15, that would be beautiful, or the vistible coaches. Either way, they would be a great a addition to the bachmann line. Ummm...... I wonder what else ET&WNC I could bug with.
Take it easy
Dusten
I know I pester the hell out of everone over a 4-6-0
E.T.&.W.N.C, TWEETSIE, LINVILLE.
www.tweetsierailroad.com
http://www.johnsonsdepot.com/crumley/tour1.htm
#12 and 10-Wheelers
Black River & Southern
Rock On & Live Strong
Dusten

dto

I see that Mark ("LurchBird") has already mentioned my suggestion, but here's an excerpt from my recent post:

On a similar subject, at the National Train Show I once again pressed Mr. Lee Riley and the Bach-man for a three-pack of 4-wheel sugar cane cars, similar to their boxed sets of mining and logging cars.  The end bulkheads could be removable, so the sugar cane cars can also be used as "shorty" flatcars.  Some cars from the Oahu Railway & Land Co. were once on display at Travel Town (Griffith Park, Los Angeles), but I don't know their current condition or location.  I'm impressed with Bachmann's recent resin castings (wood fuel loads, pulpwood cargo, etc.), and removable resin sugar cane and sugar bag loads would be nice extras for the set.  Sugar plantations were a major industry served by narrow gauge railroads, but so far Bachmann hasn't touched this subject.

And if Bachmann produces Hawaiian narrow gauge, why not a relabeled gondola car with a resin pineapple load for the Dole cannery?

Expanding on the Hawaiian theme, a two-pack of Kalakaua-style passenger cars would compliment the sugar cane trains nicely.

I suspect we'll see a version of the HO scale log skidder car, and Mr. Lee Riley might be planning an excursion car that's more accurate for narrow gauge than the prototypes seen at the National Train Show.  (At least that was my impression during our conversation.)

I echo the pleas for a new caboose -- perhaps a longer model that could later be released as a side-door drovers caboose?  Or perhaps a separate frame and running gear to convert the current caboose into a 4-wheel bobber?

Maintenance of way cars would be nice, though I would balk at recycled lumber camp cars.  A rotary snowplow or a simple snowplow car should be popular.  Modifying a tank car for firefighting purposes is another possibility.  And since you're providing new Mogul pilots with operating couplers, why not a Mogul snowplow pilot?

Eagerly anticipating,

David

Tomcat

just one thought more folks: What about a Barnhard Log Loader, what about a Flat Car with a Logging Donkey or a two or three drum steam winch...?
Wouldn´t that be cool?

Definitely support the idea of a more Logging-like Caboose, more or less a hut sitting on a Logging Disconnect frame... So, how ´bout some Logging Disconnects ready to run???

Cheers, Tom ;) ;) ;)

Hamish K

I have posted about excursion cars in other threads - yes I would like to see one but preferably not the HO/N ones (too Disneyland for my taste) or at least modified versions with flippable (flipping?) seats.

A "drovers" or other caboose with passenger accommodation would be good - perhaps based on the short Sandy River cabooses #556-558 or the earlier and smaller #554. (Yes I know there are kits for these but we are talking ready to run here).

Hamish

FrankS

Hi all,
I'd suggest the existing or future steel Flat Car fitted with end bulkheads and a removable (cross - stacked) pulpwood load.
Cheers,
FrankS
Tasmania,
Australia