What rolling stock would we like to see in the future?

Started by ksivils, August 04, 2008, 11:57:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SRRL On30

I will chime in with the desire for more cars that would be apropriate for the forney to pull. The pulpwood cars are a great start, the gondolas and flats are pretty close, so a new run in SR&RL roadname would be nice there too. However, the boxcars are the main staple and sorely missing. Changing the door to open the other way, making individual ladders, and a new roofwalk while omitting the end doors  and lower door track would make a reasonable looking Maine prototype.

I am currently taking one and doing just that. I'm using styrene to fill in the end doors and adapt the upper door track ( it will be non-operating but look right ) I'm also replacing the grabs with ladders, filed down the roof to make it flat and remove the grooves, and replacing the roofwalk with a wooden one complete with end platforms. The last steps are making the odd shaped end buffers and adding the low frame archbars or Grandt on30 trucks, haven't decided yet.

Tomcat

That would be on my wish list too: Some Maine Style rolling stock fitting to the nice Forneys: Sandy River Style Boxcars etc... These little gems may deserve something to pull... :) :) :)

Tom

ksivils

The large scale tank cars in On30 would be a dream come true!  They did answer the request for the large scale 4-6-0 in On30, so perhaps they will do the tank cars as well.

I would imagine that there would be a serious market for these with the On3 guys as well!

Royce Wilson

I am with you on the tank cars!    never could understand why folks allways complain about minimun radius in On30 then you see the same people with a large scale indoor layout! :o

the present Bachmann freight cars are easly convertable to a maine prototype, but to take them beyond eastern modeling is not easy.
most of us purchase the engines and have to resort to other manufactures for the freight cars. :-[
I would think that a person with a small O scale narrow gauge layout would want a few nice cars. why not redo the present freight cars with doors that are removeable and removeable ladders. cast on detail went out with tinplate. ??? >:(

come on Bachmann, we got enought varity of engines,just improve the freight cars...or produce a good generic boxcar ::) ::)

Royce Wilson

ksivils

If you would like a non-eastern box car and are willing to pony up for and build a kit, Keith Wiseman has some really nice box car kits that include the C&S steel underframe box cars and RGS 4000 series box cars.  These are not inexpensive, but Keith's stuff is quality and the bodies are one piece castings!

These kits are for both On3 and On30 so you would need to tell Keith which gauge.  I think his web address is www.locopainter.com or something similar.

I forgot, I would like a steel box car like Dallas Mallerich's 20 foot kits, but in the 25 foot range.

TIM A

Hi folks
I agree with "dto",I would dearly like to see a rotary snowplow (ODM).

jcater

Well, here is my wish list:

1 Boxcars that open prototypically from left to right instead of right to left

2 Four-Wheeled Bobber Caboose so I don't have to bash these anymore

3 Duckbill-roof, backdated passenger cars...so I don't have to bash THESE anymore

4 and YES a Rotary Snow Plow that is affordable...

mmiller

Quote from: jcater on September 28, 2008, 10:23:52 PM
Well, here is my wish list:

1 Boxcars that open prototypically from left to right instead of right to left

2 Four-Wheeled Bobber Caboose so I don't have to bash these anymore

3 Duckbill-roof, backdated passenger cars...so I don't have to bash THESE anymore

4 and YES a Rotary Snow Plow that is affordable...

hey!...that's my list too, except I want a long caboose not a 4-wheel bobber ;D
mike miller
San Juan Pacific Lines
On31.17 California 3' narrow gauge

Frisco

Quote from: TIM A on September 25, 2008, 07:48:18 PM
Hi folks
I agree with "dto",I would dearly like to see a rotary snowplow (ODM).
Yes a rotary snow plow like a D&RGW OY would be great. If Bachmann really wanted to do something great then they could make operating blades controled by a DCC decoder.

Tomcat

Count on me for a D&RGW Rotary -would buy a OY type, that´s for sure...
Bachman - Frisco´s right: That would be a cool thing to have, a DCC controllable
OY...

That would make my day, thanks Frisco: Great idea!!! :) :) :) :) :) :)

Cheers, Tom ;) ;) ;)

dto

Hmm... didn't think about DCC control when I first suggested the rotary snowplow.  But if you have DCC, why not go all the way and add SOUND?

Can you imagine how popular a DCC sound-equipped rotary snowplow would be in ANY gauge, especially HO?   :o

finderskeepers

Yes, a D&RGW rotary would be really nice, especially when the available options for rotaries are either really expensive brass, or really hard to build craftsman kits (also expensive).

Narrow minded

YES, the Rotary Snow Plow would be great, operating with DCC better, sound, best.

While talking about snow plows, what about a Flanger or wedge type plow.

I would also like to see a D&RGW Long Caboose.

THANKS

Frisco

C.S.R.R. Manager

I don't think this has been mentioned.  Mount Blue Model Co. has some new wood kits, which look very nice.  They have several cabooses, but Ken has also produced some new box cars, pulpwood cars, and flat cars, all based on 2 foot prototypes.  I built one of his cabooses, and while it's a fairly complex project, the pieces fit together nicely, and the end result is great.

But I know, RTR plastic models are easier.

Manager