Ready-to-Run Sets

Started by Dano65, August 04, 2008, 04:00:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dano65

This message was recently posted on
    http://www.tcamembersgroup.com
and I thought it would be of interest.

Hi,

It is interesting to note that the large toy train companies agree that the key to their future lies heavily in the sales of boxed sets, and yet Williams by Bachmann offers none. In its new 2008 catalog featuring both its "Traditional Line", and "Golden Memories" trains there are no sets offered, by a company who pioneered sets in HO gauge. It is strange, since they have the locomotives, rolling stock, track and power accessories to do so. Why would they wait?

Bruce, Ready-to-Run, Vincelette

therentster

Hey Bruce, page 75 through 79 of the 2008 catalog are sets, or at least in my catalog there is.  From the price listed I guess they wouldn't be called starter sets though! ;)

Neil MacDonald

3rail

Hi Bruce,

The locomotives and transformer in our line are more robust than what you would expect to find in a ready to run set.  We would not be able to achieve a stater set price, even with mass production of a single style locomotive.  In addition, we had about 2 months to decide what to make for 2008, not nearly enough time to develop a starter set.  We are certainly exploring this issue for future years to come.

Regards,

3rail

OGReditor

While I, too, would very much like to see O gauge starter sets offered, I also recognize that it will take some time for Bachmann to develop a feel for their new line and what will or will not work.  Better to evaluate things carefully--particularly in today's market--than to jump in with both feet.

My guess is that Williams by Bachmann starter sets have the potential of doing very well, particularly in light of Bachmann's large and well established distribution network. but I fully understand their need to take things one carefully measured step at a time.

And there's sure nothing to preclude someone from purchasing a set of Williams by Bachmann locomotives and cars (there are plenty to choose from); an assortment of track components of one's choice (from a variety of types offered by various makers); and something from the diverse range of transformers currently offered.  Aside from having everything in one box, that's all a starter set is in any event.  Yes, a boxed set is convenient, but that's probably the only real advantage.

DominicMazoch

Suggestion:

Offer TWO types of RTR sets.  One would have the loco and cars.  Second would have track and transformer.  T&T could come in various track configurations!

Actually, MTH's first RailKing sets started without T&T.  So several configuations are possible!