News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

0-6-0 and 2-6-2 DCC

Started by HUDnOTOW, August 04, 2008, 06:53:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HUDnOTOW

:(  I can find no specific instructions on any site about how to convert the 0-6-0 w/slopback tender and the 2-6-2 to DCC.  I would like to put decoders in the tenders.  Has anyone done this and could you please pass specific instructions on what I have to isolate in the loco?  I like these locos but have just gotten DCC for my RR.  I have just looked over the list of NMRA Announcements and wonder if the new DCC ready Spectrum tenders would work with these locos and would the instructions include modifying the older locos with the Spectrum tenders?

Thanks,

Hud

skipgear

Adding a decoder to the 0-6-0/2-6-2 is not hard. You just need to insulate the motor and solder a few wires. They don't have lighting so it is just a matter of 4 wires between the tender and loco.

The problem is, you will want to wait till the new tenders arrive. The only thing holding back these loco's is the lack of all wheel pickup on the tender. The current pickup system on the front truck only is draggy and doesn't work very well. Adding DCC to that will not be very satisfying.

When the new all wheel pickup tenders arrive, it should really help these loco's out.
Tony Hines

Modeling the B&O in Loveland, OH 1947-1950

HUDnOTOW

:D Many thanks Skipgear.  I already have the new tenders on order.  I hope that the instructions for the tenders have directions about the loco wiring.  Will wait for the tenders.

Hud