News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Future Roadnames for Railbus

Started by Guilford Guy, August 04, 2008, 09:14:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guilford Guy

Hello, I know these haven't even been released yet, but I just wanted to use my 2 cents for Future Roadnames... The Hoosac Tunnel & Wilmington was a 3 ft gauge line between Hoosac Tunnel Mass, and Wilmington Vermont, via Readville Vermont... HT&W owned a Railbus virtually identical to your model, and the railroad was home to the first railroad enthusiast excursion.
http://www.ginosrailpage.com/HTW/HTWGasCar.jpg
And there goes my last two pennies!
Alex

Hamish K

Note that the Hoot Toot &Whistle (as some apparently called it), although originally narrow gauge, was converted to standard in 1913, so their railbus would have been standard gauge.

Hamishl

japasha

Hamish is correct. There were no FWD railcars built for narrow gauge in the US. The bodies of these particulat units were built by Boston, a firm that did streetcar bodies based on Brill designs.

OGReditor

While it's true that FWD never actually made any narrow gauge rail buses, the photo on that link is sure darn close to a spittin' image of what the new Bachmann models look like (I have a set running behind me here at home right now--doing a product review for the Dec. issue of our magazine).  I've long been a fan of "critters" and I guess that's one of the things that initially drew me to On30 a few years ago.

Since Bachmann is offering the rail buses in a couple of painted-but-unlettered versions, it should be easy enough for folks to re-paint (if desired) and/or letter these little buggers for any line they prefer.

Shameless plug here, as well:  I hope you narrow gauge fans will check out our Oct. issue, too, because it's largely devoted to O scale narrow gauge (mostly On30) and includes an interview with the folks at Bachmann, including Lee Riley, the driving force behind their On30 line.

the Bach-man

Dear All,
Although there were no narrow gauge FWD railbuses built, they were available. We simply modeled what might have been.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

ksivils

OG,

What magazine might that be?

Kevin

OGReditor

That would be "O Gauge Railroading" magazine, Kevin.

FrankS

Dear OGReditor,
Can you give a UL that works, please.
A Google search finds O Gauge Railroader "www.ogaugerr.com" but then it's a dead end and internet explorer can't display it.

Thanx,
FrankS

OGReditor

Frank:

Your link worked just fine for me, at the office as well as here at home.

What doesn't work for me is this "post" feature on this site (for several days now).  I had to go to "preview" and then to "post" from there.  Didn't have to do that previously.

FrankS

Apologies for using/abusing thew forum for this.
Dear OGREditor,
Could you possibly get in touch with me direct at:
franksavery@bigpond.com

I've tried three different computers with 3 different internet connections, but I just cannot get on to your ogaugerr.com website to find out how I can order a copy of your Oct/Nov special NG issue.

Thanx,
Frank Savery,
Tasmania,
Australia

OGReditor

Frank:

Try that link again in a day or so.  I think there might be a problem with reaching the OGR homepage at the present time.  Not sure what the problem might be, but I'll alert the webmaster.

We also have a toll-free number you can call: 800-980-6477.  I'm not sure how that works from your part of the world, but if you're not charged for the call, give it a try (9-5 Eastern in U.S.)

C.S.R.R. Manager

Maybe a more direct link will work:

http://www.ogaugerr.com/railroad/main.php

The Feature Articles look great  Tours of On30 layouts always get my attention.

Chris333

I do wish that Bachmann's railbus was based on them as built and not the one single railroads bus that had it's roof lowered. The original version as built with the arched upper windows looks much better to me.