Question about E-Z track for a newbie.

Started by dgwood1025, March 06, 2007, 03:49:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dgwood1025

I am new to this hobby and I just purchased a train set for my daughter which came with E-Z track, I also got a bunch of E-Z track off of Ebay. My question is there a way to use other track with the E-Z track? I heard that the switches that E-Z track makes are not that good and to use Peco or Atlas switches. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Darinn

Jim Banner

If you use 1/4" cork roadbed under it, you can use most brands of flex and sectional track, including Atlas.  Atlas track and cork road bed are available at most hobby shops selling trains.

For temporary setups, E-Z Track is easy to set up and stays together well.  For more permanent layouts, I prefer the cork road bed but have tried foam and even 1/4" plywood.  Actually, anything that is 1/4" thick will raise baseless track and turnouts up to the same heights as E-Z Track.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

BIG BEAR

My humble opinion, is that EZ track is as good as atlas, with better stability and stays together better. My layout is all EZ track, all 60 ft. of it.
        I'm in the process of changing over to all N/S instead of the mixture I have now.
        I would suggest trying the EZ track out to see how it works for your daughter. and how well she likes this sport or hobby. there is always B-days and Christmas to expand or try a new approach.   

Barry
Barry,

...all the Live long day... If she'd let me.

dgwood1025

Barry,

Have you had any problems with the E-Z track switches?

Darinn

buoy5401

I'm also a newbie and attemptying to build the Blackriver Junction that began in the Janruary issue of Model Railroader.  I've laid out the 22" curves , but am having trouble finding the exact next size smaller in E-Z track to run them parallel.  Any solutions?

Terry Toenges

Buoy,
You're talking about HO right?
To go smaller, you only have 18" and 15" radius in EZ track.
Make a quarter of a circle with the 22" and the 18" curves. Put the 18" inside the 22" and move them until all 4 flat ends line up.  You can use a framing square if you have one.
That's how much distance apart you will have to have the straights to keep them parallel.
You can do the same with the 15" if you decide to go with that small of a radius.
Feel like a Mogul.

jayl1

However - if you are running large engines or long cars, 15" radius is  NOT a good idea.  It is very tight even for 4 axle engines & 50' cars.

buoy5401

Thank you everyone.  I just wish they had mentioned the fact you are not going to be able to closely doubletrack with all brands of track in the magazine.

Terry Toenges

Buoy,
You can use small straight pieces in the smaller curves to make them a little bigger.
Feel like a Mogul.

BIG BEAR

Darinn,
  I did have a problem with one switch, the only used switch I've ever purchased, only a couple longer passenger cars hated it. all my frt. cars did OK there. I've recently changed that switch and have no problems.
  good luck

Buoy,
   Terry gives good avise, I also use 18 & 22 together, to get the proper arc, to extend the outer curve of my double ended layout.
Barry,

...all the Live long day... If she'd let me.