A 2-10-4 eh? Interesting... Or what about 4-10-2?

Started by Steam Freak, August 07, 2008, 04:33:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steam Freak

I remember a long time ago trying to get Bachmann to release such larger engines as a 2-10-4, but everyone back then complained that it wouldn't be able to take curves for a "typical layout".

What made Bachmann change their mind?  If you guys can build this, does this mean a Southern Pacific 4-10-2 is *actually* a possibility now?

*See pictures bottom of thread.*

SteamGene

The old Bachmann 2-10-4 could take 18 inch curves because of wheel travel - but that doesn't mean it looked good on it.  The same is true today. 
The curve a locomotive will take depends more on who made it than the wheel arrangement.  I have a C&O K-3 - heavy Mikado - which is very finicky on very broad curves - mostly shorting of cab against tender. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Santa Fe buff

And you don't see 22" E-Z track neither. And It's worse to see my friend's Daylight take 18" track.
- Joshua Bauer

Pacific Northern

Santa Fe buff

And you don't see 22" E-Z track neither. And It's worse to see my friend's Daylight take 18" track

What are you talking about?

There is 22" E-Z track available. Check the Product section.
Pacific Northern

Steam Freak

Quote from: Pacific Northern on August 07, 2008, 04:23:33 PM
Santa Fe buff

And you don't see 22" E-Z track neither. And It's worse to see my friend's Daylight take 18" track

It goes all the way up to 35" E-Z Track.

Steam Freak

Anyway, what about the 4-10-2 idea? Surely if Bachmann can make a 2-10-4, he can make a 4-10-2?  Same amount of wheels, just different configuration and different engine. (Has 3rd cylinder under pilot)

Brass Engine Picture:

Another Brass Engine picture:

kenp

Unfortunately, it looks like the 4-8-4 boiler with a different frame, and of course, not spectrum. I'd love to se that SP 4-10-2 in spectrum, but it's probably to "road specific" for them!

Santa Fe buff

Quote from: Steam Freak on August 07, 2008, 05:40:29 PM
Quote from: Pacific Northern on August 07, 2008, 04:23:33 PM
Santa Fe buff

It goes all the way up to 35" E-Z Track.
Well I know now. So it does, I'm buying me some  35"!
- Joshua Bauer

Steam Freak

Quote from: kenp on August 07, 2008, 06:59:00 PM
Unfortunately, it looks like the 4-8-4 boiler with a different frame, and of course, not spectrum. I'd love to se that SP 4-10-2 in spectrum, but it's probably to "road specific" for them!

Oh yes.........They would make up something.

Santa Fe buff

What, now your against Spectrum?! :o
>:( For shame.
But if your just saying that as a joke- :-\ Um, well uh.

But I'm sure that if Bachmann did make it wrong, they would release it again with it corrected, and I'm sure that if Bachmann does do all this, it wouldn't be our call anyway, think of how hard the US economy is. I'm sure Bachmann doesn't want to waste too much money in things that may not sell. I think further research is needed before consideration....or comments.
- Joshua Bauer

SteamGene

What, know your against Spectrum?!

Do you mean:  "What, now you're against Spectrum?!" ? 
The first almost makes sense, but is strange.  The second is correct and makes sense. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Jake

Quote from: kenp on August 07, 2008, 06:59:00 PM

*cough*That'showtheprototypeoneswere*cough* ;)
Co Admin/Founder of the North American Narrow Gauge Modelers!
http://www.getphpbb.com/phpbb/northamericanna.html
www.myspace.com/vfb1210

JIMMY!! HAFF AR LODE JUST DROPPED LOOS!!!

Steam Freak

Quote from: Santa Fe buff on August 08, 2008, 03:41:40 PMI'm sure Bachmann doesn't want to waste too much money in things that may not sell.

Bachmann has already done that, so what have they got to loose ;)  Maybe this one would sell? I know many people who want a 4-10-2 for HO thats cheaper than brass. And you can barely find the ones now that ARE brass.

Steam Freak

I would kind of like to hear on what Mr. Bachmann says about this, if that's aright?

Santa Fe buff

Quote from: SteamGene on August 08, 2008, 04:05:32 PM
What, know your against Spectrum?!

Do you mean:  "What, now you're against Spectrum?!" ? 
The first almost makes sense, but is strange.  The second is correct and makes sense. 
Gene
Sorry Gene,
I fixed it.

Quote from: Steam Freak on August 14, 2008, 01:54:34 AM
I would kind of like to hear on what Mr. Bachmann says about this, if that's aright?
Sure why not, I'm interested in hearing from the 'MANN', the BACH-MANN, after all, it's very fun to see what they think of our ideas.
- Joshua Bauer