A 2-10-4 eh? Interesting... Or what about 4-10-2?

Started by Steam Freak, August 07, 2008, 04:33:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

the Bach-man

Dear All,
I already posted: I think the 2-10-4 is a great buy, and will do very well.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

Steam Freak

Quote from: the Bach-man on August 15, 2008, 01:20:04 AM
Dear All,
I already posted: I think the 2-10-4 is a great buy, and will do very well.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

We are talking about a 4-10-2, if you have read my post.  :-\

Pacific Northern

Steam Freak

It seems as though most readers missed the point of your post, the possibility of the 4-10-2.

I for one would be very interested in these engines being available in the Spectrum line. The big question being what would the prototype be?
Pacific Northern

Steam Freak

Quote from: Pacific Northern on August 15, 2008, 02:27:17 PM
Steam Freak

It seems as though most readers missed the point of your post, the possibility of the 4-10-2.

I for one would be very interested in these engines being available in the Spectrum line. The big question being what would the prototype be?

Theres a couple good prototypes. Both UP and SP had 4-10-2's. I gave some picture examples on the first page. But I like the look of this one the most:

japasha

The 4-10-2 is a unique locomotive. Only the UP and SP had them outside of a Baldwin demonstrator.

The problem is the long wheelbase. It's the same problem the SP had, it was just too rigid for the Sierras so they went to the valley and the sunset routes and coast route and performed very well there.

I have the brass models and they require excellent trackwork and #8 switches. I'm sure Bachmann can do better than a minimum radius of 32 inches.

The problem with a four wheel lead truck is that the pivot of the front truck is part of the wheelbase, unlike a twoi wheel lead truck

The Santa Fe 4-8-4 and 2-10-4 were designed to use the same basic Baldwin boiler to improve cost reductions at overhaul time. . Either configuration  is a powerful, exciting locomotive to see in operation.

I have a pair of Bachmann 2-10-4 with a power conversion in each and a 4-8-4 with a Bowser conversion.  The pancake motors are junk. The new units with the gearbox and more conventional motor are good but not all that powerful.

Kids like to see the large locomotives run, I guess that's why everyone wants the big gun on their layout. My locomotives with the power conversions will pull 60 cars on level track, more than enough to get the club to get mad because I'm using two blocks on their layout.

grumpy

Japasha
I have one of the junk Bachman 2-10-4 . What was your power conversion. I would like to run it on track rather than have it on display.

japasha

Grumpy,

The conversions are from PMD. pmd@zoominternet.net. They cost about $140 but are very smooth runners. The conversion is pretty easy, the hardest part is making the tender into a pickup.

Nelson Pattison makes these every so often so you might have to wait. On the club layout next to a PFM brass mmodel it is hard to tell what is what. Pattison makes the three inside drivers blind for tight operation. Otherwise 36 inch radius is required.

Theframe is milled brass with new side rods and a large DC-71 motor. Drivers are Bowser so if you want no blind drivers it is easy to change.

Steam Freak

I agree Japasha :-) 

What does Mr. Bachmann think about a 4-10-2?  Same numbers as the 2-10-4, but switched around and a different engine.

Santa Fe buff

Dear Steam Freak,
   Interesting topic, I was just thinking the same thing. Although, a lot counts. I say it's a good idea for another great engine.

Sincerely,
   Josh B.
- Joshua Bauer

Steam Freak

Quote from: Santa Fe buff on August 18, 2008, 11:28:36 AM
Dear Steam Freak,
   Interesting topic, I was just thinking the same thing. Although, a lot counts. I say it's a good idea for another great engine.

Sincerely,
   Josh B.

Definitely. But I would still like to hear Mr. Bachmann's word on this.

the Bach-man

Dear Freak,
It's an unlikely candidate due to it's uniqueness and rarity.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

Steam Freak

Quote from: the Bach-man on August 18, 2008, 11:03:06 PM
Dear Freak,
It's an unlikely candidate due to it's uniqueness and rarity.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

Oh, I would have thought the On30 Railbus and Trailer was pretty unique and rare too, but ok.