News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Floor Layouts

Started by Cody J, August 07, 2008, 06:29:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cody J

I Own A Model RR Book Copyrighted In 1981.  Inside It Says To Not Run Your Trains On The Floor Because Of Extra Dust Or Something.  Is That Still True Today Or Have The Qualtiy Of Locomotives Improved Since Then?

Thanks For Any Help
-Cody L. Jackson
A.K.A trainsrock
CSX Mt. Storm Subdivision- Freemont, West Virginia

http://s277.photobucket.com/albums/kk49/trainsrock96/

Jhanecker2

While trains have improved , floors are still dusty and rugs still have dust and fibre .  E-Z track , Power-Lock , and other track systems with tracks on bases are better at keeping  rails cleaner , floors still are not optimum environments for electro-mechanical  devices.

SteamGene

Absolutely.  Even with the Christmas train, a sheet of 4x8 plywood goes on the floor first. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Santa Fe buff

Heck, before I get my real layout in my room <Which should happen soon- Since we are painting my room soon, and my mom and dad are planning to get it in>, I had Power-Loc and E-Z track for my trains, but I have a very short haired carpet colored green <Hey, it was put in 74'!> so I never had any problems besides my power-loc system oxidation in 1 year...
- Joshua Bauer

eddie

你好,
while it's recommended to have something in between the track and  the carpet (such as cardboard, or using track with integrated roadbed.)
Alot   of modern day engines have enclosed gearboxes. (but do expect to get junk stuck in there eventually)
再見,
GB

Santa Fe buff

Yeah, but I vacum my room once a month and clean out my engines. But a lately attempt to clean them out ended up with my two primed Bachmann locomotives ending with one with a torn wire connecting too the trunk, and two missing screws to hold one's body together... :(
- Joshua Bauer

Guilford Guy

For the 3rd times its truCk not truNk...
Alex

Santa Fe buff

What? I grew up from 5-10 on Trunks! It's like a bad habit!
- Joshua Bauer

SteamGene

Bad habits are made to be broken.  Do start proofreading again. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"