News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

couplers

Started by Michigan Railfan, August 07, 2008, 10:35:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michigan Railfan

can kadee knuckle couplers mate with bachmann knuckle couplers?

Santa Fe buff

Do ATSF couples mate with BNSF coupers?  ;)
Just kidding, only if they are a close enough or exact height, oh, and make sure they are both knuckle or the black one the look like the grim reaper's silth.
- Joshua Bauer

Guilford Guy

Kadee Knuckles CAN mate with Bachmann Knuckles.
Alex

Santa Fe buff

Oh, and sometimes on some of the loser Bachmann couplers I can spread the knuckle enough to make it 'semi-capable' with the black life-like ones. But the stress derails most cars so I just find ways to 'break' the couplers and have me get some new ones. Then have a car half and half for 'exchanges' in couplers.
- Joshua Bauer

Jhanecker2

Santa Fe Buff : The Reaper uses a scythe  ,happen to have one myself . The lifelike coupler is called a horn-hook coupler  and was one of the first attempts at standardization . I am in the process  of converting my own couplers to knuckle type either  Bachmann , or Kadee .

SteamGene

Given the choice, go with Kadee.  
And yes, at one time everything came with horn hook.  Before that there was chaos.  
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Guilford Guy

Of Course, John Allen used neither...
Alex

Santa Fe buff

Quote from: Jhanecker2 on August 08, 2008, 10:17:51 AM
Santa Fe Buff : The Reaper uses a scythe  ,happen to have one myself . The lifelike coupler is called a horn-hook coupler  and was one of the first attempts at standardization . I am in the process  of converting my own couplers to knuckle type either  Bachmann , or Kadee .
Ah, I was looking for the name, but until then I needed any example so people would know the couple I'm talking about. Horn-Hook huh, never would've guessed. Thanks.
Oh, and Kadee would be better then Bachmann couplers but that is your choice. And my Spell Check went out so I couldn't figure out how to spell 'scythe'. But you get what I meant.
- Joshua Bauer

SteamGene

Chief Brass Hat

mattallen37

hi, is it horn-hook? or is it hook-horn? thanks.

Matt

Santa Fe buff

Quote from: SteamGene on August 08, 2008, 04:09:46 PM
Dictionary.
Gene
Your right, I probably just wasn't thinking. Thanks Gene, I guess common sense isn't so common, yet I won't step in front of a freighter...
- Joshua Bauer

RAM

John Allen used the best coupler available at the time. Early kadees were not very good.  The
horn hook was still years off.

SteamGene

It's horn hook.  
And since it's lesson time:
Your:  possessive pronoun designating something you own:  Your diesel derailed again.
You're:  contraction of you are:  You're going to buy a Spectrum Consolidation to replace the diesel.
Were:  plural past tense of "to be"  We were happy when the Spectrum Consolidation appeared.
We're:  contraction of we are:  We're going to get this layout finished this year.  
Where:  location.  In the north, the basement is where many men build their layout.  

(These are common errors on this board - and not just by teens.)
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

Woody Elmore

How about the poor abused apostrophe. People add it to plurals. There is a pizzeria out here that is called "Two Guy's" pizza. They don't need the apostrophe and it makes me nuts every time I go by.

There is a stall in a local mall that sells "collectables."I often wonder if that's the same as "collectibles?"

As for "horn-hook couplers, I often wonder where that came from. I remember that the politically correct Model Railroader always referred to them as "X2f" from the NMRA designation. Most people I knew always called them "NMRA" couplers.

The NMRA gets the credit (blame) for designing the things. They allowed manufacturers to use the design free of charge so as to get some kind of uniformity.

Who remembers the "NMRA universal coupler pocket"?

jayl1

How about the old Mantua loop couplers?