News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Raiding Someone's Garage.

Started by Santa Fe buff, August 07, 2008, 10:39:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Santa Fe buff

No, no, we were at the train  museum waiting, and the worker there handed us a slip of paper. This guy was selling trains in his garage:
$10- powered loco.
$5- dummy loco.
$2- freight car
$2- Athearn blue box kit.
.50- for piece of track.

Here the deal of what I got off the 'Black Market':  ;)
One powered KBS customized "to look like the KBS's locomotives: they special ordered them." <Pre weathered.>
8 cylindrical hoppers <pre weathered>
2 ATSF tanker cars <Pre weathered- free of charge.>
1 non-pwr Undecorated Bachmann GE U36B
1 powered Illinois Central GE U36B <Pre Weathered>
1 powered Illinois Central SD70 <Pre Weathered>
1 non-pwr Illinois Central GP25 customized to look awesome.
1 powered Life-Like F40PH -BN
1 matching life-like centered caboose-BN
1 non-pwr Soo Line SD70
1 Atlas 'dead frog' switch.
Oh, and this:
http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/931-104
A CN GP9m <I thought it was a GP11 low nose, but then I noticed the 'hump' and the other charactristics.>

- Joshua Bauer

Guilford Guy

I think only IC, and several shortlines owned GP11's. The Soo Loco may be an SD60, I don't think they owned any SD70's. Sounds like a good deal, how much did you end up spending?
Alex

Santa Fe buff

$88.00
And I forgot to add a Blue Box kit we got for a cylindrical hopper.
Either or, the SD60/70s are SDs with extra long end walk ways and long noses/front walkways. 

Quote from: Guilford Guy on August 07, 2008, 10:42:43 PM
I think only IC, and several shortlines owned GP11's. The Soo Loco may be an SD60, I don't think they owned any SD70's. Sounds like a good deal, how much did you end up spending?
Speaking of GP11s:
http://www.railforum.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/8/113.html
I posted on the forum too. Yes I hate those teens or kids that did that. This thinkg they shoul be aressted or something, but after all, the locomotive is now property of the city/town.
- Joshua Bauer

Santa Fe buff

Just in, the guy only sold 2 things at his garage sale. So he's giving me the rest of his lot for free! Plus a 10-Speed bike. :o :o
:) So funny that I'm getting my layout in soon...!  :o Creepy.
:-\ I need more storage...
- Joshua Bauer

Jim Banner

Joshua, I don't find that creepy at all.  Many hobbyists are willing to help out others in the hobby - just look at all the people who post here and give freely of their time.  It sounds to me like the person holding the garage sale is also helping out someone in the hobby, namely you.

The group I model with has had a great deal of model railroad stuff donated to us over the last ten years.  With the exception of some trains that we kept for static display, we have given virtually all of it away.  It is all part of passing along the pleasure that model railroading has given us over the years.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Bill Baker

Jim, I couldn't agree with you more.  After I converted all of my HO Code 100 to code 86 I donated it to a poor underprivledged church about 5 miles from where I live.  Two other members from my church and I built a 8 X 10 layout in an empty Sunday school room.  I donated two old Tyco steam engines and about 10 freight cars to those kids. Other members of my church donated a transformer, wiring and a few buildings.  Over two weekends we had set up a nice model railroad layout.  Those kids were absolutly elated.  I hope this may inspire some future model railroaders to our hobby.  It certainly made us feel good.

Bill
Bill

Santa Fe buff

Quote from: Jim Banner on August 11, 2008, 01:28:20 AM
Joshua, I don't find that creepy at all.  Many hobbyists are willing to help out others in the hobby - just look at all the people who post here and give freely of their time.  It sounds to me like the person holding the garage sale is also helping out someone in the hobby, namely you.

The group I model with has had a great deal of model railroad stuff donated to us over the last ten years.  With the exception of some trains that we kept for static display, we have given virtually all of it away.  It is all part of passing along the pleasure that model railroading has given us over the years.
You make a great point. I wasn't as to say 'why would someone do it?' but to say more of an ironic kind of situation. I'm very grateful, all my running locomotives are all currently disabled, and he pops out of the blue. I think he is very nice to me. Considering your post, I'll keep my most prized locomotive I might own, and give it to a son/daughter I might have, if not, my nefu. He just loves my HO scale trains. Until then, I'll model the best I can on a simply 4x8, that I'm still awaiting for arrival in my room, but I can wait a long time.

Quote from: Bill Baker on August 11, 2008, 10:14:19 AM
Jim, I couldn't agree with you more.  After I converted all of my HO Code 100 to code 86 I donated it to a poor underprivledged church about 5 miles from where I live.  Two other members from my church and I built a 8 X 10 layout in an empty Sunday school room.  I donated two old Tyco steam engines and about 10 freight cars to those kids. Other members of my church donated a transformer, wiring and a few buildings.  Over two weekends we had set up a nice model railroad layout.  Those kids were absolutly elated.  I hope this may inspire some future model railroaders to our hobby.  It certainly made us feel good.

Bill

Well, I would give some stuff I don't need away, but I don't know many modelers in need around here. It's a small town, and in the entire school, only me and my friend are modelers of trains. He doesn't want any of it. But when ever we just want to try it out, we trade engines for about a week or so. But we both agreed on the roll that anything over 50bucks is not enabled to be borrowed, so the leaves us with trading freight cars, but they are very good ones that we both like. And our church doesn't have anyone how likes trains, and our church can hold a 4x8 layout anyhow. But if I ever got the chance, I will donate. But lately, I've only been able to give dollars at the checkout for charity.
Unless you guys know of anyone in the Bourbonnais, IL area interested in some HO scale things...
- Joshua Bauer