News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann 4-6-2 K4 with sound

Started by ncc1701, July 16, 2008, 10:14:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pacific Northern

Quote from: SteamGene on August 02, 2008, 04:55:00 PM
And all was fine until trainmanchdris announced that he was going to buy a K-4 for his layout.  Not a K-4 with sound, or a 4-6-2, but a K-4.  Bachmann makes two K-4s: a PRR Pacific and a C&O Kanawha, which does not yet come with sound.  So for anybody who wants clear writing, the message was ambiguous.  So I asked. 
I would bet that at least one of you had no idea that railroads other than PRR had engines designated as "K-4."  Now you do. 
Gene

The original post is very specific that it is a 4-6-2 K4 with sound.  Time to read the subject posting before assuming.

There was no reason to enquire any further if it was the 2-8-4.

Chris there are a few individuals here who can not seem to stop criticizing grammar or spelling mistakes. They are not in charge of this forum, but then again they certainly act as though they are.
Pacific Northern

SteamGene

Pacific - You are the one who assumed, not me.  That's why I asked.  And it's not a matter of spelling or grammar in this case.  In actual fact, it is a completely railroad question.  One railroad's K class does not necessarily conform to another railroad's.  OTOH, both N&W and C&O had 4-8-4s and both in J class.  However, the N&W had only one J class while the C&O had three, with it's 4-8-4 as a J-3.  Milwaukee Road L class were Mikados while for C&O they were Hudsons.  The famous N&W A class were 2-6-6-4s while the equally famous Milwaukee Road Class As were the largest 4-4-2s ever built. 
Point is, it's never safe to use a class designation without the railroad as well.

BTW, I think you have been around here long enough to have read several notes so garbled that nobody could figure out what was needed, though you did miss the classic "worn out rails" problem of a few years ago.   
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Pacific Northern

Quote from: SteamGene on August 08, 2008, 07:07:29 PM
Pacific - You are the one who assumed, not me.  That's why I asked.  And it's not a matter of spelling or grammar in this case.  In actual fact, it is a completely railroad question.  One railroad's K class does not necessarily conform to another railroad's.  OTOH, both N&W and C&O had 4-8-4s and both in J class.  However, the N&W had only one J class while the C&O had three, with it's 4-8-4 as a J-3.  Milwaukee Road L class were Mikados while for C&O they were Hudsons.  The famous N&W A class were 2-6-6-4s while the equally famous Milwaukee Road Class As were the largest 4-4-2s ever built. 
Point is, it's never safe to use a class designation without the railroad as well.

BTW, I think you have been around here long enough to have read several notes so garbled that nobody could figure out what was needed, though you did miss the classic "worn out rails" problem of a few years ago.   

Note the subject line in the original post noted a 4-6-2............Too bad you missed it.
Pacific Northern