Bachmann "HO" USRA 0-6-0 w/smoke & Vanderbuilt Tender. UP

Started by Signalman, September 01, 2008, 02:49:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Signalman

G'day All from Down Under,  :)

I was wondering if anyone can assist me with my my Bachmann loco. When I got it out of the box, it ran perfectly. After about 10 minutes, it statred to jerk, jerk, jerk, around my layout. As it jerks, the headlight goes on and off. I realized that it would be a power pick-up from the wheels. I removed the cover over the drive wheels and after removing the drive wheels, saw that the axles were covered in oil and grease. I can see that the power pick-up is through the axles to the frame. I removed all the grease and oil, and it ran perfectly again. I don't like have the axles running against the frame, with no lubrication. Does anyone know how to remedy this problem.

Many thanks.

Col Paton.

Running Bear

Bachmann has a conductive lubricant. I'm sure that if you look around in the 'Products' section you'll find it.
Running Bear

Yampa Bob

While you have the wheels removed, check for tiny burrs, especially on the edges of the casting "bearings".  The edges are usually very sharp, I make a very slight taper on the edges with a fine round file.

I also polish the castings (bearings) on my locos with #1600 grit wet or dry paper, wrapped around a small dowel or skewer.  As you discovered, you don't want any grease or oil on the surfaces, so the conductive lubricant is an excellent choice.

I wouldn't worry too much about the metal to metal contact as far as wearing. The axles are hard, and if the castings are smooth to reduce friction you shouldn't have any problems.
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.