EZ-Command DCC control unit lights flashing and clicking

Started by spoorweg, August 11, 2008, 09:47:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spoorweg

I have a Bachmann EZ-Command control unit and several brand new Bachmann DCC equipped locomotives. One of them is a CP Rail GP-35 that after a less than a minute or so of running stops dead and the control unit's  direction, function, and stop LED lights flash rapidly and a rather loud clicking noise comes from the inside the unit. The speed control and stop button and anything don't work at this point. The only thing to do is pull the power plug and let it "reset".

Is this a short in the loco?  A problem with the onboard DCC decoder?  None of the other locomotives do this and there is nothing in the EZ-Command manual that explains this type of control unit behaviour.  The first time it happened it scared me half to death and I thought I had just fried the unit and burned up the good money I spent on converting to DCC!!

Yampa Bob

My first rule for any new DCC equipped locomotive, run it only on a DC powered track until it is completely broken in, and any shorts or open connections in the track system and/or the locomotive, or binding in the locomotive drive system,  have been corrected.

The answer to both your questions is "possibly".
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

the Bach-man

Dear Spoor,
I'd give the service department a call. They'll be glad to help.
Have fun!
the Bach-man