Question re: Availability of Bachman Turnout E-Z Track Control Boxes

Started by BradKT, August 13, 2008, 10:25:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BradKT

Question: Can I purchase the individual black 2" square control boxes that come with Bachmann #5 or #6 turnouts anywhere?  I am not talking about the track component.  I am only talking about the black switch box that controls the turnout itself.  I have never seen this item listed as an item that can be individually purchased.

If anyone can help me with this, I would really appreciate it because I need 3 or 4 but don't want to spend the money to buy the entire turnout if I don't have to.

the Bach-man

Dear Brad,
Ours are not, but Atlas controllers are. You can also use toggle switches.
Your hobby shop should have both.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

Jim Banner

One warning on the toggle switches - make sure they are SPST center off with spring return from both directions if you are using Bachmann or any other brand of dual solenoid turnout motor.

Another possibility is to use pairs of normally open push buttons, one pair for each turnout.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Joe Satnik

Dear Brad,

Jim beat me to the punch. 

There are many types of toggle switches, be careful. 

An Atlas #56 is your best bet.

Dear Jim,

I think you meant SPDT (single pole, double throw) in the first line of your post.

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik

If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

Joe Satnik

Just thought of something.  Momentary switches provide (leave) no panel indication of the position of the remote turnout's path. 

Toggle or slide switches do. 

Atlas #56's do.

If you don't want to use the #56, then:

Put a momentary push button (spst) in series with the center terminal of a toggle or slide spdt.
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

BradKT

Do these switches accept the plug from the Bachman EZ track turnouts?  Do I have to cut off the plug to accommodate the Atlas switches?

Here's the deal...I already have 10 of the Bachmann switches and wanted to see if I could match them, as opposed to buying 13 Atlas switches.  I want to have all of the same kind if possible.  At the same time, if you are telling me that the Atlas switches are better, I could buy all 13.

Your suggestions and opinions on what I would be better off doing for the long run would be appreciated.

Joe Satnik

Dear Brad,

Cutting the cable, or cutting and re-soldering the cable is probably more common than you think. 

If I recall correctly, your cable ends are very wide male plugs with small female pins.

To get around drilling huge holes in their control panel and train board, some will cut the cable, thread it through smaller holes in the control panel and train board, then solder it back together using shrink tubing for insulation. 

Another way around it is to remove the pins from the connector on one end of the cable, thread it through smaller holes, then slide each individual female pin onto its destination male pin. 

This assumes that the removal was destructive to the connector.  If you can remove the pins from the connector and re-install them in a non-destructive manner, more power to you.     

You could make adapter pins by forging the end of a solid piece of copper wire into a flat male pin, which would plug in to the end of your cable.  Connect the other end of the solid wire to your #56 or toggle. 

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik

Jhanecker2

One advantage of using the Atlas # 56 is that you can wire multiple turnouts to a single switch . You can wire a crossover to a single switch by wiring both individual turnouts'  N  &  R   positions  together.  You could also wire a scissors  cross-over with two # 56 control boxes the same way as two crossovers.  There are other combinations possible .  Also when you cut the connectors  you can  apply crimp terminals to male reconnecting easier.

BradKT

Thank you for the information.  When I went to the hobby shop and saw that the Atlas #56 required 3 wires to connect to a switch, I decided to stay with the Bachmann EZ-track controllers.  I am saving this, however,and when they ultimately wear out, I'll probably follow your advice.

It seems to me that it would be a good idea for Bachmann to offer the remote switch control for sale as an individual item, or at least as a part you could order.  It's not like they would have to make a new product or anything.

Yampa Bob

Hi Brad
I used Atlas #56, but I put the screws in from the bottom, so all the wires are hidden underneath the controller.  A shallow wood box, with cutouts in the front panel holds everything in place.  I fastened a couple of Radio Shack screw type terminal strips in the bottom to connect all the wires.

I have 13 turnouts on my layout, but have only 6 control boxes.  As mentioned, things like crossovers with 2 turnouts, can be powered by one controller. 
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.