Connection Remote Control Switch Tracks

Started by WGL, August 12, 2008, 05:11:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WGL

I just got my first Electric Remote Control Power-Loc Switch Track.  I expected to find directions on the back or inside the package, but I found only an ad for Power-Loc track.  The automatic switch track for my old Marx trains was easy in comparison.  Power-Loc's control has A, B & C connections but only two cables.  I connected C to the switch track, leaving one cable for the A & B terminals.  I tried B to the AC teriminals on my power pack, but the switch did not work.  At least, I can turn them manually.
  Even my beginner's book doesn't explain.  Why don't model train companies provide more information about their products & instructions how to operate them?

Jhanecker2

most turnouts are powered by the AC terminals of your transformer . they are not to be connected to the DC  tracks.  Most turnouts are controlled from a switch  which has three leads output  cable.  Do not mistake a power cable from a control cable.  Time to pick up a copy of a Electrical Train Wiring Book there are many on the market .  Model Railroading has several published by Kalmbach.

WGL

Thanks, Jhanecker2.  I didn't think I'd need a book on wiring just to connect Power-Loc switch track.  I e-mailed Walthers Customer Service, & the person replied expressing surprise that there were no directions included!

Yampa Bob

WGL
You are right, one shouldn't have to buy expensive books to install a simple "plug and play" device.  All that's needed is a diagram on the package.

If you are interested in a wiring book, I recommend "Easy Model Railroad Wiring" by Andy Sperandeo.  Lots of diagrams and very little text.  Andy's philosophy is "I'm not interested in electricity and electronics, I just like trains".
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

WGL

Yampa Bob,
  That sounds like the kind of book for me.  I have been e-mailing Walthers about whether to connect the A or B on the remote control to my power pack.   The reply said A is supposed to connect to my power pack, B enables two switch track controls to be connected to each other & use one connection to the power pack.  The problem is that they have different connectors, & the wires' plug fits B but not A.  I just photographed the control & e-mailed him a picture.  The wire connected to the switch plugs into C on the control.  The rest should be that easy.

Yampa Bob

Sounds complicated to me.  Most turnout controllers, such as Bachmann and Atlas can be "ganged" together.  Two wires to the controller AC terminals, and 3 wires from each controller to their respective turnout. 

I think most modelers want all the controllers at one location. Perhaps Power-loc gives one the option of having them scattered around.  Who knows?  :D

Anyway, hope you get it all worked out.
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

WGL

After he saw my photo, the person at Walthers said I was right that it is B that connects to my power pack & A is for connecting another remote!  If I had the right connections, I wonder why the switch didn't work. 
  I just replaced my power pack with EZ Command Control.  I hope I can still use the AC on my power pack to operate the switches.