News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Milwaukee Road Baggage

Started by Cascade Northern, August 13, 2008, 02:23:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cascade Northern

I recently got the Milwaukee Road Baggage car from the Big Hauler series.  Does anyone know what scale the car is?  From what I have found, the car is about 6" from railhead to car top, which comes out to about 14'4".  14'4" is around what the "standard" car height was.  If this is true, then the car is 1:28 scale.  If the car was 1:22.5, then it would be a 7.5" tall model with a 14'4" tall real car.

Is the car really 1:28 scale, or is it a model of a smaller/freelance car?

Joe Satnik

Dear Snoq. Pass RR,

Hmmm.  Never knew one existed.  Do you still have the package?  What is the 5 digit item number?   Can you post a picture?

My BH passenger cars are 6" as you say.  That makes them 11' 3" in G scale (1:22.5).  Narrow gauge equipment can easily be shorter than standard gauge equipment. 

Kevin would know the actual prototype and its height.

The Milwaukee Road Golden Classics Limited Edition passenger set (4-6-0 loco, tender, coach and observation) is non-cataloged Big Hauler set from the mid 1990's.  I saw the set once, and I recall it had a handsome livery.   

I don't have any catalogs from that era, so I don't know if the GCLE add-ons (such as your baggage) were in the catalogs.   

Loco Bill would know more.

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik   
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

az2rail

I was under the impression that the big haulers were 1:22.5. If that is not correct, I would like to know also.

Bruce
If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either.

Cascade Northern

I also thought that all Big Haulers were 1:22.5 ???  If this is suppose to be a narrow gauge car, then 1:22.5 would be the scale.  But, the Milwaukee Road is a standard gauge railroad, not narrow gauge. 

The item number is #97415, and here is a photo of the car:

the Bach-man

Dear SP,
It's a 1:22.5 model. The Milwaukee had a narrow gauge line called the Slim Princess, and we made a set and some extra cars to commemorate it.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

Joe Satnik

Google "milwaukee road slim princess"

Milwaukee Road Narrow Gauge: Iowa's Slim Princess ~ by John Tiggs

The Chicago, Bellevue, Cascade, and Western Railroad

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik

If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

Cascade Northern

Wow, I guess you really do learn something new everyday.  Thanks!

Loco Bill Canelos

Hi all

The Golden Classics Milwaukee Road set came out in 1994.  As Joe said it was never in the catalog.   It had the Big Hauler 4-6-0 and a coach and observation car.  The set number is 90094 if you are looking for one.

The add on matching combine 97115, and the full baggage 97415 did not come out untill 1998.  They were never listed in the catalog either!

There were 3600 sets made, and I do not know how many of the add on cars were made, but I believe it was less than 3600 pieces of each.   At the time Bachmann was doing runs of as few as 1200 pieces for some other cars, and I expect the number is closer to the low end.    If anyone has definitive info on the production run for the add on cars please let me know!  

The set shows up on Ebay once or twice a year, and it is about the same for the individual cars.  
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!