News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

EZ-command question

Started by mechanic, August 14, 2008, 10:51:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mechanic

I've been considering buying a Bachmann EZ command for my 4x8 home layout.
I'm presently running DC with 2 Bachmann controllers.(seperate block wiring)
My daughter and I like to run trains together so a DCC system with 2 throttles/controllers would be a big plus.
I see the ez command also has a walk around companion controller available but that would basically double the cost of this system.
Would it be feasable to use the ez command with the dc controller to control one of our dc locomotives along with the ez command system?
What would the advantages/disadvantages be using the dc controller instead of laying out the money for the walk around companion unit?
Thanks for any advice opinions.
Eric
Schutzhund:because you can't always have your .45 auto with you.

Yampa Bob

If you have two isolated loops, you could power each loop separately, apparently as you are now doing.  If your locos are not DCC decoder equipped, this might be your best option. You mentioned already having 2 controllers, can't you both run at the same time with what you have?

Of course you could power one loop with DC for your daughter, and power the other loop with EZ Command if there is no possibility of both loops ever connecting electrically.  This means totally isolated loops, with no crossovers, or switches that could accidentally be thrown.  NEVER have DC power and DCC power connected to any track at the same time. 

With the EZ Command controller, you can run one DC locomotive for short periods on address 10, but you would still be sharing one controller. There is a caution in the manual about running a DC loco on a DCC powered track, could overheat and damage the motor.

Bachmann makes a DC controller, #44212,  that plugs directly into the EZ Command, allowing a separate throttle for one DC locomotive. It also frees up address 10 for another  DCC loco. Personally I don't recommend running any DC loco on DCC power.  Do not attempt to connect your present DC controller to the EZ Command as it may not be compatible.  I'm sure, as stated by "Murphy's Law", some people are trying to do it, but it's their railroad. My policy is All DC or All DCC.

If all your locos are DCC equipped, the best (and safest) option would be the EZ Command and walk around companion.    
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.