News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Stationary Decoder

Started by Signalman, August 18, 2008, 06:02:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Signalman

G'day from over here is Australia. Would anyone know what Stationary Decoder can be used with the Bachmann E-Z Command DCC Control.

Thanks in advance.

Col.

Yampa Bob

Hi Col

I found this page on the Digitrax DS64.  Very interesting, but after reading the manual, it appears to require a more sophisticated unit.  Might be something to consider if you ever upgrade.   

http://www.digitrax.com/prd_statdec_ds64.php

I think it's unlikely that Bachmann has anything in planning, since they already have their DCC turnouts. Of course I usually get in trouble when I start thinking.  :D
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

Jim Banner

Regular mobile decoders can be used stationary in a pinch.  With the typical motor plus lights decoder, you get two on/off functions and one motor control function c/w reversing capabilities.  You didn't mention your application but just be sure the current is within the capabilities of the decoder.  To increase the current capabilities of the on/off functions, you can use them to drive relays which in turn switch the load.  If you use conventional coil type relays (or any other inductive load) be sure to include snubber diodes to prevent inductive spikes from destroying your decoder.

Some other brands of mobile decoders have more than just two on/off outputs.  One with say six outputs could be used as follows (just one of many, many possibilities):

motor output - drive a turntable
lights output  - switch a turnout
outputs 1&2   -  switch another turnout
output 3       -  turn building lights on and off
output 4       -  turn room lights on and off.

A note on room lights - There are a number of electronic relays on the market that will allow a decoder to control 25 amps or more at 120 or 240 volts a.c.   The optically isolated input of such a relay can be connected directly to a decoder.  The output of the relay requires the same respect as any other power wiring and should be wired by an electrician unless you are thoroughly familiar with power wiring and electrical codes in your area.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.