News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

HO Tenders

Started by Pacific Northern, August 15, 2008, 03:45:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pacific Northern

Seeing as Bachmann will be releasing a number of tenders for its N scale steam engines how about a new tender for the HO steamers.

An example would be for the Russian.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:NYSW2481.jpg

Pacific Northern

Yampa Bob

I have bashed  several high side tenders using Bachmann USRA medium as a base. I sawed off the old low bunker at the top edge of the tank, then built a new bunker with .040 styrene.  The original "coal load" fits in the new top.

The tender in the picture you linked to would be easy to bash as it's basically just a square box. 

I've been planning a write up on it when I get time and inspiration. My projects are getting ahead of my documentation.  I can send you a sample picture if you like. If you enjoy a little painting and detailing, tenders are fun projects and the possibilities are endless. 
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

csboit

What about an even shorter version of the USRA tender? I am modeling the Boston & Maine, and a shorty tender would be nice - would also work for oher early 1900s RRs

Christopher

Santa Fe buff

Dear Pacific Northern,
   In an earlier topic (Which I'm sure you know...), has us talking over a 14 axles tender. I would like to see Bachmann make a larger Vandy.  :)

Sincerely,
   Josh B.
- Joshua Bauer

Yampa Bob

Hi Chris

The USRA can easily be shortened to 25'. The Paducah shop made several shorty tenders for Illinois Central.

I have the instructions and drawings if anyone wants them.

Guilford Guy

Quote from: csboit on August 18, 2008, 08:47:07 AM
What about an even shorter version of the USRA tender? I am modeling the Boston & Maine, and a shorty tender would be nice - would also work for oher early 1900s RRs

Christopher
Hey, another B&M Modeler.
There is a company doing the B-15's, and P-2b's in HO in Resin, and I think Laconia Buggies are coming. Also, North East Model Craftsman is reissuing the old Ambroid coaches as improved laser cut kits.
Alex

SteamGene

I'm not sure I know of any Vanderbilt tender larger than the 16V that Bachmann makes. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Santa Fe buff

Dear SteamGene,
   I would like to see some bigger Vandys! ;D

Sinerely,
   Josh B.
- Joshua Bauer

Yampa Bob

Ok, dumb question for today, is there any railroad that used a vandy tender longer than the long one Bachmann makes?

I don't think I would attempt to stretch a Bachmann vandy tender.  Chopping or stretching the USRA is fairly simple.