News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

GS4 Daylight #4449

Started by GeneS, July 03, 2008, 08:37:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GeneS

I am having a problem with the locomotive.  The wheels are misaligned and the drive train wheels are not meshing with the motor.  Actually, they are all loose and come apart. I was told this is a common problem.  I would like to hear some viable solutions including purchasing a new "drop in " engine.
Thanks

SteamGene

How old is the model?  
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Hunt

Steve G.

I just got a GS4 and noted among other things that the axel gear and idler gear would slip by each other when the geared driver was pressed to one side or the other.  I disassembled the locomotive and removed the geared driver.  It was obivious that the driver gear was out of place as some of the axel shaft knurling was visible.  I used a NWSL gear/wheel puller to move the gear to within 0.003" of center.  Placing the driver assembly back into the frame revealed an alignment problem with the idler gear.  I pressed out the idler gear shaft and removed the gear.  There are shoulders on this gear and one side of mine was wider than the other.  I flipped the gear over so the fat shoulder was on the opposite side from the original installation.  There was still some slop (the gear was free to move side-to-side) so I added a thin metal washer to reduce the endo.  After fixing the interference problem with the valve gear reversing hanger and the main rods, the loco runs fine.  It now will move about 6-9 inches in 15 to 20 minutes. ;)  That's what you call creepy :D