News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Replacement Hogwarts Tender

Started by J, August 17, 2008, 05:05:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J

I need to replace the tender for my Harry Potter, Hogwarts, HO train.  If necessary I can paint it but am not sure which of the tenders you have for sale would come the closest to the correct look.  Any suggestions?

Santa Fe buff

Dear J,
   http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/harry-potter.htm
Scroll down, you'll see a detail photo of the Hogwarts Express locomotive. I can't sell you any for I don't own any items such as that.

Sincerely,
   Josh B.
- Joshua Bauer

RAM

Can I ask why you need to replace your tender?

J

Did not need all of the track or the power pack so i picked it up used with the intent of fixing it up.  May be more work then I bargained for.

SteamGene

Do you not have the tender or is something wrong with it?  In reality, you could probably use any small rectangular tender and be totally realistic.  Rowlings knows nothing about steam locomotive and her entire description is "It was a red steam locomotive."  The movie people grabbed a steam locomotive that may have already been red and used it.  This causes consternation of some because one can plainly see "Hogwarts Castle" on the locomotive, but it is a County class, not a Castle class.
I wouldn't use a Vanderbilt or a six axle long, but the smallest USRA or the Russian Decapod should work fine.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Jhanecker2

How are you going to match the coupler of an american tender to a european style coupler ?

ajp3751

Bachmann produces british, german, and chinese trains as well as american. Try going to bachmann UK to see if one of those tenders comes close to yours.
http://www.bachmann.co.uk/

Ozzie21

The real Hogwarts locomotive is 5972 Olton Hall which is a Great Western Hall class loco built in 1937 at Swindon works. The loco was built to the design of Charles Collet and is based on the modified Saint class.
If you have the Hornby model then it's a Castle class model which was a 4 cylinder express passenger loco and not a two cylinder like the Hall class. I think where people get confused is the name plate "Hogwarts Castle" so they think it's a castle class and as the model is a castle class the confusion gets worse. Hornby don't make a Hall class model but Bachmann Branchline do. I think the Bachmann Harry potter set was a special set for sale only in US as it never appeared in the UK catalogue. You would have get a tender from either Hornby, if you have that model or Bachmann UK if you have that  model. The two tenders are quite different ans the Hornby tender has pickups where the Bachmann tender does not. The drawbar is on the Hornby loco and it's on the tender on the Bachmann model. The tender is also a rigid 3 axle tender so a decapod tender wouldn't come close.
Sorry Gene it's not a county class. The original loco picked for the harry potter movies was ex Southern railway  light pacific Taw Valley SR number 21C127/BR number 34027. Chris Columbus decided after the loco was painted red that it looked to modern, Taw Valley is a rebuilt light pacific and not a spam can, so he opted for Olton Hall instead.

Regards
Charles Emerson
Queensland
Australia

Quote from: J on August 17, 2008, 05:05:52 PM
I need to replace the tender for my Harry Potter, Hogwarts, HO train.  If necessary I can paint it but am not sure which of the tenders you have for sale would come the closest to the correct look.  Any suggestions?

J

Wow, you all seem very knowledgeable and after years away from the HO train seen, I am very, very green.

As for the Hogwarts train I believe it is the one that Bachmann US made but all it says on the bottom is "Bachmann", "Made in China" and a blurb about the rights.  Also, yes the tender is completely missing but the train runs without it so it is not one of those conjoined units.  Additionally, some of the train couplings need to be replaced.  I am not at all familiar with the style of couplings.  They are very delicate looking, consisting of a horizontal almost D shaped loop with a pin that lifts and drops in place when another coupler mates up to it.

StanierJack

Quote from: J on August 24, 2008, 04:19:02 PM
Wow, you all seem very knowledgeable and after years away from the HO train seen, I am very, very green.

As for the Hogwarts train I believe it is the one that Bachmann US made but all it says on the bottom is "Bachmann", "Made in China" and a blurb about the rights.  Also, yes the tender is completely missing but the train runs without it so it is not one of those conjoined units.  Additionally, some of the train couplings need to be replaced.  I am not at all familiar with the style of couplings.  They are very delicate looking, consisting of a horizontal almost D shaped loop with a pin that lifts and drops in place when another coupler mates up to it.

If I were you, I'd get a spare Bachmann GWR Hall tender, and swap the bodies around on both. Try ebay.co.uk for them, or you could buy the Hornby Hogwarts tender.

Ozzie21

Okay if itis the Bachmann one you will need a tender from a Hall class model. You could try contacting Bachmann's service department in the US as the model was manuafactured specifically for them.
As for a UK model I'll get back to you with a part number.

Charles Emerson
Queensland
Australia

Quote from: J on August 24, 2008, 04:19:02 PM