Decoder installation problems

Started by pdlethbridge, August 18, 2008, 07:36:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pdlethbridge

I'm not at all familiar with the current draw but I do know that a  Rayovac alkaline aa 1.5 volt battery would light them all.

pdlethbridge

I've added another accessory to the layout, a Digitrax ds64 stationary decoder, to run my switch machines. I bought the recommended power supply ( ps12 ) for it. I wired it last night but didn't get to run it until this morning. Works great! I'm only using the first 2 outputs and I'm controlling 4 atlas code 83 switch machines with it, 2 crossovers. I'll get 2 more switches installed later, but if you want to control your switches, thats the way to go. That you can have routing, makes it a good investment. What I paid in switch machine controllers, which didn't work that reliably,  would have bought the ds64

Jim Banner

So the lights could be drawing several amps.  The down side of 1.5 volt lamps is that for the same light output, they must draw more amps.  Compared to a 12 volt lamp, a 1.5 volt lamp with the same output will draw 8 times as much current.

I am wondering how you calculated the dropping resistor for these lights without knowing the current.  
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

pdlethbridge

current to me is something that goes on toast. I don't know a thing about basic electricity. Which surprises me. If you saw the control panel I built for my brother and what I'm building now, you'd see why it surprises me. These are the bulbs I have.
Grain of Rice Clear 2.2mm (1.5V) Replacement Light Bulbs from Model Power

taz-of-boyds

Pdlethbridge,

What is the value in ohms of the optional resistor you included in your circuit.  The instructions indicate you need to know the current.

Charles

pdlethbridge