News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Decoders for Bachmann

Started by Mouse, August 19, 2008, 02:27:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mouse

I know this may be a touchy subject for some, but I have made the jump to DCC and am pleased with the results. The control, especially at slow speeds is great and you can ajust or even mute the sounds on demand.
I need The Bachmann to recommend a decoder for the E-33s and K-4s I have. Thanks and God bless.

Yampa Bob

I don't think anyone considers this topic "touchy".  On this board we are free to discuss different options.

If you're planning to install sound yourself, a good place to research is this site:

http://www.tonystrains.com

They have several tutorials available for download.

Another informative site is:

http://www.litchfieldstation.com

Other members may have suggestions for the locos in question. 

I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

the Bach-man

Dear Mouse,
I would suggest our decoder, but of course I'd be regarded as a biased adviser. For this reason I let others post their results with a variety of decoders. The key is to choose an NMRA compliant decoder for your loco.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

Pacific Northern

Quote from: the Bach-man on August 21, 2008, 10:40:07 PM
Dear Mouse,
I would suggest our decoder, but of course I'd be regarded as a biased adviser. For this reason I let others post their results with a variety of decoders. The key is to choose an NMRA compliant decoder for your loco.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

Mr. B

Is it necessary to cut the capacitors if using the Bachmann decoder?
Pacific Northern

Yampa Bob

Mouse,

Since you mentioned sound, I assumed you wanted sound decoders.  If you want non-sound, then of course the Bachmann decoders would be a good choice, since they are compatible with the DCC ready board with no modifications. Just plug the decoder in and you are ready to roll. You didn't mention the brand of your DCC controller.  If it is the Bachmann EZ Command, then you should follow the instructions on page 5, for user installed decoders, using a programming track.

PN,
I believe Jim Banner said that the Bachmann decoders have special circuitry that works in harmony with the capacitors, so cutting them was not necessary.  Other brands of decoders apparently do not have such circuitry. All my Bachmann locos came decoder equipped, and the capacitors are intact.
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.