News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

K27 radius question

Started by Ihranune, August 19, 2008, 08:13:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ihranune

Good evening.

Just a quick question about the K27.  I am planning on moving from 1:29 standard gauge to 1:24 narrow gauge and am interested in the K27 but have not been able to find an answer to one question.  What is the radius for this beast?

Many thanks!  :)

glennk28

it needs at least four foot radius.  And--the K-27 is 1:20.3 scale--much bigger than 1:24.  Really impressive!  gj

Ihranune

I mis-spoke...the person at my local hobby store had used the term 1:24. 

Four feet?  I expected it to take eight to ten feet!  Now I am really disappointed I picked up the 2-8-0 instead of the k27.  :(

YellowHillsCentral

It can fit 4 foot radius curve?? Wow, this is new information to me. ..good news  ;D

thanks
CSLM

glennk28

Remember, we're talking RADIUS here--not diameter.   gj

Deanbierly

I'm an LGB :'( guy that just bought a K-27 and a 3 truck shay.

What is the radius of Bachman curved track?

Deano

grayfitz

Deano,  Bachmann track is 4ft curve and wont accomadate the K27 or similar.I run mine on Aritocraft 9ft curve ,smaller than this and its a bit tight, Regards to all GRAHAM(Australia)

glennk28

Bachmann track is 2 foot raqdius, and is note suitable for outdoor use per Pachmann's own admissions.   gj

gwfan

This thread is a good example as to why we need to STANDARDISE on either radius OR diameter. My own preference is radius as the smaller scales do.

Chris
Modelling BR (W) late 1950's in 4mm 00 and large scale garden using Bachmann and LGB 1:20.3/ 1:22

glennk28

I agree--"diameter" implies a full circle.   "Radius" can be a portion of the circle--and IS the commonly accepted terminology throughout the hobby.  gj

FordcvP71

from what I understand 8' is the minum it can do, I use LGB R3 curve tracks without any problems  ;)

Also like others have said the K27's are 1:20, IMO it looks okay with 1:22 LGB & Bachmann Big Hauler rollingstock but 1:24 car's look a little small next to it  :-\

glennk28

I had an old MDC Rio Grande "short" caboose out and next to my AMS model of the same caboose--significant difference in size.  gj