News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

#52 Srill bit

Started by usher42, February 03, 2007, 08:58:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

usher42

Where can i get #52 drill bit for my rotary tool and what type of file is good for hobby models.

Rich R

Try Micro Mark online. A number 52 is almost a builders supply item but not quite.
Files? Once again try micro mark and iunless you're doing a lot of wood removal stick to miniature jewelers files. Buy a set.

Cheers,
Rich R

Jim Banner

Number drills #1 to #60 are commonly available at machine shop suppliers.  If you have one locally, you can save the cost of shipping, which is often several times the cost of a single bit.

Depending on your application, a 1/16" drill may do - it is only 0.001" smaller than a #52.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Seasaltchap

Jim: Confirmed - Are ACE HARDWARE nationwide? They are available there.
Phoenix AZ: OO enthusiast modelling GWR 1895-1939, Box Station Wiltshire; S&DJR Writhington Colliery, Nr. Radstock.

Interested in making friends on the site with similar interests.

lanny

Stewart,

At least in Iowa, Ace Hardware stores are ubiquitous to smaller communities as well as larger ones. There are several in the Des Moines area. Some of them are incredibly well stocked stores for just about anything you can imagine!

Good place to find stuff like the drill bit.

Jim, thanks for the note on the almost non-existant difference between a 1/16 bit and a #52. Very helpful to know.

lanny nicolet
ICRR Steam & "Green Diamond" era modeler

usher42

Theres a Ace hardware in WA and near where i live,what should ask the sales person there

JerryB

Quote from: usher42 on February 19, 2007, 11:45:22 PM
Theres a Ace hardware in WA and near where i live,what should ask the sales person there
I would suggest something along the line of "Do you have a #52 drill bit?" ;) ;)

As Jim Banner wrote above, a #52 bit is 0.0635" diameter. A 1/16" drill bit is 0.0625" or just 0.001" (1/1000th) of an inch smaller. You will never tell the difference unless you are working on something for NASA. While a #52 drill bit might be somewhat hard to find, 1/16" drill bits are available everywhere. If you already have a small drill set, it is probably the smallest bit in the set.

You can also get whole sets of small drill bits from Micro-Mark. Look at www.micromark.com.

I find that it's generally better to use small drill bits in a (manual) pin vise rather than a hand-held rotary (Dremel) tool. Even at their slowest speeds, rotary tools tend to either break or quickly overheat and burn up small bits. Also remember that drill bits are breakable / consumables and need to be replaced with new sharp ones at regular intervals.

Take a look at the file sets at Micro-Mark. Set #33108 "Swiss Pattern Needle Files" is $13.35. It contains 12 medium cut files in a wide variety of shapes. A set like this will provide all the files you need for most beginning modeling tasks.

Hope this helps.

Happy RRing,

Jerry Bowers
Sequoia Pacific RR in 1:20 / 70.6mm
Boonville Light & Power Co. in 1:20 / 45mm
Navarro Engineering & Construction Co. in 1:20 / 32mm
NMRA Life Member #3370
Member: Bay Area Electric Railway Association
Member: Society for the Preservation of Carter Railroad Resources

pdlethbridge

model expo is another supplier of tools. Look under eurotools for drill bits. They come 10 to a tube.

Seasaltchap

If you are into buying a packet of 10 No.52 drills:-

For anyone who lives in a large city with a lot of engineering activity, there will be machine tool suppliers.

There is a 1300 page 8½x11 catalogue, well illustrated, that local suppliers put their own cover on. Mine is from Marshall Tool & Supply, Phoenix.

You name it, they've got it, or can get it.
Phoenix AZ: OO enthusiast modelling GWR 1895-1939, Box Station Wiltshire; S&DJR Writhington Colliery, Nr. Radstock.

Interested in making friends on the site with similar interests.