News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

DCC for N Scale

Started by PRRThomas11, August 20, 2008, 09:22:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PRRThomas11

I don't know much about DCC. All I know is you can run more than one engine with a decoder. I am looking for a DCC system to use with an n scale layout that will soon have a turntable, round house and yard. What is the best system to use and what is the best place to learn about DCC?

Thanks in advance.
PRRThomas11- "The Standard Railfan of the World" 

Yampa Bob

I like things simple, that's why I chose the Bachmann EZ Command. I have no desire to fiddle around with CVs, I just want to run my trains. 

EZ Command has 9 addresses, which is more than I will ever need. To transfer control from one loco to another, you only have to push one button.  More full featured units require two or three operations to transfer control. 

Bachmann also has a remote panel and companion controller, so two operators can run different locos at the same time.  Add extra panels and companions as you like.

You don't have to enroll in night school to learn about DCC, it can be as simple or as complicated as you want.  Bachmann has a great FAQ on DCC, here are some other resources:
http://www.wiringfordcc.com
http://tonystrains.com      (download "DCC for Beginners" in PDF format.)
http://litchfieldstation.com

Personally, I think the EZ Command is the best entry level controller.  It's a masterpiece in simplicity.    
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

Jim Banner

E-Z Command (Bachmann's entry level DCC) is indeed easy to learn and easy to operate because of its simplicity.  But with simplicity comes limited ability.  I started off with MRC's Command 2000, which was another entry level system with a minimal command set.  I eventually went on to Digitrax, staring with their entry level Zephyr which can do just about anything that can be done with DCC.  It was like moving up from a four banger calculator (the simple add, subtract, multiply and divide type) to a full blown scientific calculator.  It can do lots more, but you have to learn a lot more to make it do it.  Fortunately, like a scientific calculator, some of its capabilities I use every day, some I use occasionally, and some I will probably never use.  So if I know how to use some of the capabilities, and if I am aware of of other capabilities, I can afford to forget about the capabilities I don't need.

I would suggest that you use full featured decoders in your locomotives if you are going to install them yourself.  Even though E-Z Command cannot program these decoders to do such things as match locomotive speeds to allow them to run together, or set internal feedback to exactly match motor speed to throttle setting, or to set up special lighting functions for things like ditch lights, mars lights, strobe lights, and fire box flicker, or other capabilities often found in full featured decoders, it can control a locomotive with these features programmed into it, even if you have to have the programming done by others.  An example of a full featured decoder that is small enough for N-scale and Z-scale but powerful enough for many H0-scale applications is the Digitrax DZ123 which is available at an economy price.

If at some point you were to add sound to your layout, you might want to consider using off board sound.  This would be the opposite of on board sound, used by some in H0-scale.  Unfortunately, the small scales have room only for tiny speakers on board, so on board sound sounds tinny and thin.  This is particularly bad in N-scale and Z-scale where steam sounds are barely adequate and diesel sounds are, in my opinion, a failure.

With off board sound, a series of large speakers are installed under the layout and a computer keeps track of where the locomotives are and which way they are heading.  The sound system can then feed the sounds appropriate to each locomotive through the speakers closest to where the locomotives are and smoothly cross fade the sounds from speaker to speaker in the directions the locomotives are progressing around the layout.  By using decoders like the DZ123, the necessary hardware for tracking the trains is already installed if you should ever decide to go to such a sound system.

Having said all that about sound, I personally do not use sound in the small scales.  Maybe it is because I live on the prairies.  Much of my train watching has been at distances where I don't hear the train - it really has been train watching, not train listening.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

PRRThomas11

Thanks guys.
If I was to start with an entry level DCC what would I have to do to change it to something more advanced?
PRRThomas11- "The Standard Railfan of the World" 

Yampa Bob

If you buy DCC equipped locomotives, or as Jim noted, install full featured decoders, then they will work with any NMRA compliant controller.

To take advantage of all the "bells and whistles" incorporated in the decoders, you could move up to a more advanced controller, such as Digitrax Zepyr, NCE Powercab or MRC Prodigy Advanced.  You could even go wireless with Bachmann Dynamis, or add radio accessories to Powercab or Prodigy. 

For about $80, starting with EZ Command is a no brainer. Plug it in, watch the included DVD, and be up and running in no time. A good way to get your feet wet without a large investment, but it is limited in features. Consider it a "meat and potatoes" controller, you may have an appetite for more variety.       

Any consideration of the higher end units requires a lot of research, study and if possible some hands-on practice and appraisal.  I have been studying the manuals of several advanced units for over a year, and still using EZ Command.  I can afford them, but at my age I've become a bit lazy, and as I said before, I just want to run my trains with as little hassle as possible.

Of course the NCE Powercab is very tempting. You might want to download the manual from their website, and Tony's Trains has an excellent review on the unit. There is a lot of information on this site for the Bachmann Dynamis Wireless.

At first all this may seem overwhelming, but relax, it isn't "rocket science".  All the units have excellent step by step instructions, and you don't need a background in electronics.  Just read the manual, push the buttons and turn the knob. 

Guess it comes down to 2 considerations, how far you want to go and your pocketbook.
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

pdlethbridge

I just started converting over to DCC. I'm using the NCE power cab, their entry level unit that I got from gadget toms. Switching to DCC was not something done on a wimm but I've thought about this for over a year. I first wanted the Zephyr but after trying the power cab at my brothers I went with that. It has a lot of features I'll never need but I primarily choose it because I can reach every part of my layout with its long cord and hand held design. All my decoders are digitrax. Both the zephyr and ez command would need extra parts for a hand held that would add to the cost and put them at or over the cost of the NCE power cab. The buy it now price of a dynamis wireless system at the favorite spot on ebay is $160. http://www.gadgettom.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=NCE0025&Category_Code=NCE-S

hindmarch

Hi Jim Banner,regarding the off board sound,i have 2 small sound modules that use battery power that can be placed anyware on your layout,i am considering using computer control on my layout which is complete DCC,i am interested to know what i need to do to be able to use the off board sound with computer,i have the software for the computer i just have to purchase the hardware side.Regards Bryan

Jim Banner

Digitrax's approach to this makes use of the Transponding capabilities of their new and relatively new decoders.  With transponding, a computer connected to the Digitrax LocoNet** can track which blocks all the locomotives are in and the directions the locomotives are headed.  The computer can then direct the sound of each locomotive to the closest speaker.

The next step, still under development in conjunction with Soundtraxx, is to have a stand alone sound controller which connects to the LocoNet but runs independent of any computer.  They are looking at running sounds for up to 8 locomotives at a time, selected from a library of up to about 100 locomotives.  One of the exciting proposals is to have the sounds cross fade from speaker to speaker in the direction each train is traveling.  In my opinion, this is a giant step forward for sound in all of the smaller scales.  For more information, click on the the link below and check out Segment 3.

http://model-railroad-hobbyist.com/digitrax_2008

** Digitrax's LocoNet is a Local Area Network (LAN) that handles communication between throttles, command station, boosters, radios, block occupancy detectors, transponding detectors, computers (and thence the internet) and so forth.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.