Installing sound in any Bachman DCC Steam locomotive

Started by steamman64, August 21, 2008, 03:48:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steamman64

HAs anyone bought or installed soundtraxx sound in a bachmann DCC no sound loco? What is required besdies the decoderr and speaker? Can you attach it to current DCC board in tender?

SteamGene

It depends on the decoder.  Bachmann steam locomotives have an NMRA eight pin socket.  If the decoder has an NMRA eight pin plug, it's plug it in, though you may (probably will) have to cut the capacitors. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Pacific Northern

A few model railroaders that I asked this same question advised me to replace the Bachmann DCC decoders in my Spectrum steamers  with a DCC Sound decoder.  

It appears the general consensus is that the Bachmann DCC decoders are  best described as entry level. If you want sound then replace the Bachmann DCC decoders rather than adding a sound only decoder..

Check with the various DCC Sound decoder manufactures, most manufactures advise  to clip the capacitors found on the PC board of the Bachmann Spectrums.
Pacific Northern

richG

I can only speak for the Richmond 4-4-0 and low boiler 4-6-0. The 4-4-0 was DCC equipped, no sound. The tender frame was ready for a one inch speaker. I removed the decoder and PC board. I installed a Micro-Tsunami decoder. Tight fit.

The 4-6-0  was DCC Ready, no decoder. No speaker holes in the frame. You have to make your own holes for the speaker or install the speaker facing up in the coal load. I choose the latter, installing an oval speaker. I removed the PC board and I also used a Micro-Tsunami decoder. Tight fit also.

Both installations where hard wired.

Rich

the Bach-man

Dear Steamman,
I have just returned from Durango where I attended a Dealer Training Session. During the course, along with twenty one dealers, I installed a Tsunami in a Bachmann Heavy Mountain. All that was required was the decoder, the speaker, an eight pin plug, and moderate soldering skills. Ability to follow logical directions will also help.
Try it- it's easier than you think!
Have fun!
the Bach-man

Pacific Northern

Quote from: the Bach-man on August 21, 2008, 10:34:43 PM
Dear Steamman,
I have just returned from Durango where I attended a Dealer Training Session. During the course, along with twenty one dealers, I installed a Tsunami in a Bachmann Heavy Mountain. All that was required was the decoder, the speaker, an eight pin plug, and moderate soldering skills. Ability to follow logical directions will also help.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

Mr. B
The question is installing sound in a Bachmann DCC equipped steam engine. Replace the existing DCC decoder with a sound unit or add a sound only decoder to the existing DCC decoder.
Pacific Northern

Yampa Bob

How do you wire in a sound only decoder to an existing decoder?  Piggyback?

The Bach-man apparently soldered an 8 pin plug to the decoder wires, to make it plug and play with the existing plug on the board.  Isn't the Tsunami decoder available with the plug already in place?  Or do they only come with flying leads?
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

Jim2903

I believe the Tsunami has wire leads on a JST plug. You can get a JST harness with an 8-pin plug to avoid soldering on this end.
Jim Dudlicek
Hoffman Estates, IL

Cascade International Ry.

Yampa Bob

When will the factories stop their stupid connector war and just use the standard NMRA 8 pin plug? 

richG

There is no 8 pin NMRA plug on the Tsunami wires. At the decoder end of the wires, there is a 9 pin JST connector. Cut back the shrink on the decoder and you will find the wires connected to a 9 pins JST connector. Remove the connector and plug in a JST connector if that is what the loco has. So far as I can see, the Spectrum's have a PC board with constant lighting components and a 8 pin NMRA socket. Solder a 8 pin plug to the Tsunami wires and plug in the connector on the PC board.
Make sure to clip the capacitors.
On the opposite end of the Tsunami are wires for the speaker and keep alive capacitor.
No big deal.

The Micro-Tsunami has no connectors at all.

Change is inevitable, struggle is an option.

Rich

SteamGene

Rich - does cutting the shrink wrap void the warranty on the Tsunami?  I think I read that somewhere.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Yampa Bob

Apparently the male connector on the Tsunami decoder is the same as on the Digitrax DH, except on the DH, it is not already plugged into the female JST harness and covered with shrink.  The decoder and harness are loose in the package.

If I cut back the shrink and unplug the JST, then the Tsunami would plug directly into my Roundhouse loco, which has a prewired harness terminated with a JST 9 pin female.  Why cover the adapter with shrink?  One more plug means one more chance for a bad connection and trouble, and having to cut the shrink could damage the decoder.  This isn't "change", it's lunacy.  I'll use the micro, thank you.

For those not familiar with connectors, the female is normally a recessed socket, the male has the pins protruding and exposed, just like inserting the PLUG on a power cord (portable) into a wall SOCKET or receptacle (fixed).  The JST concept was to have the male pins protected by a shroud, to avoid shorting the pins, particulary on lithium battery packs, which can explode if shorted. However most battery packs come with female JSTs which can be shorted on one side, more lunacy.

I seldom use the term "socket", and to me the term "plug" means anything with connectors.  So even though the male looks like a socket, it is still a male, and though the female looks like a plug, it is still a female.

What do you mean, "Keep alive capacitor"?

the Bach-man

Dear Steamman,
out with the old, in with the new.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

Pacific Northern

Quote from: the Bach-man on August 21, 2008, 10:34:43 PM
Dear Steamman,
Have fun!
the Bach-man

Checking the Heavy Mountain Spectrum steam I noticed that it comes in two versions DCC Ready or with DCC and Sound installed.
Pacific Northern

richG

Quote from: SteamGene on August 22, 2008, 06:23:38 PM
Rich - does cutting the shrink wrap void the warranty on the Tsunami?  I think I read that somewhere.
Gene

I read in the Yahoo SoundTraxx forum that this does not void the warranty if only enough is cut to expose the connector.

Bruce at Litchfield Station or Tony's Trains can comment on this issue.

Rich