Started by steamman64, August 21, 2008, 03:48:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pacific Northern

Quote from: the Bach-man on August 22, 2008, 10:26:27 PM
Dear Steamman,
out with the old, in with the new.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

Does this not mean you remove the existing DCC unit and replace it with the DCC/Sound unit?

Mr. B can you please clarify if you are piggy backing the two decoders or only using one?

Pacific Northern

the Bach-man

Dear PN,
Yes, remove the DCC decoder and replace it with a sound decoder.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

Ozzie21

I have done several. This one was different as it was a reverse engineering job. I was taking a Bachmann OEM decoder out of a rectangular tender 2-6-6-2 and fitting it into a 21VC vanderbilt tender. You get this with the J-2 class mountain but not for the 2-6-6-2 and C&O had more than a few that used the 21VC tender. the following pictures show how I installed the twin speakers, 1W 40x16 rectangular panasonic speakers, in the tender.

Test fitting the speakers to ensure orientation is correct.

Speakers now mounted. I used a latex bathroom sealant to glue the speakers to the chassis. This sealant provides a nice flexable membrane that seal really well.

Wire added . Speakers are mounted in series.

End seals fitted using the latexant sealant. It's important to make sure the back of the speaker is sealed off from the front. I don't use baffles or sound boxes instead I use the tender shell as the sound box. I just ensure the tender has no air leaks.

Finished loco sitting under my coal plant.

Regards
Charles Emerson
Queensland
Australia

Quote from: steamman64 on August 21, 2008, 03:48:34 PM
HAs anyone bought or installed soundtraxx sound in a bachmann DCC no sound loco? What is required besdies the decoderr and speaker? Can you attach it to current DCC board in tender?