News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Ballasting EZ Track

Started by The Old Man, August 24, 2008, 12:20:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Old Man

I know this has been discussed before--but it's a real bear.  I am trying the following--brush Aileen's Tacky Glue on the slopes and around each of the outside ties.  Lay ballast down the center.  Brush ballast to level in the center.  Hope that the overflow falls where I want it on the slopes and between the outside ties.  Pour more on the slopes.  Tap it around.  Spray with "wet" water.  Dribble WS Scenic Cement down the center with an eyedropper.  Dribble scenic cement on the slopes.  Waste tons of ballast per track with no real way to cleanly recover it.

The biggest problem is the slopes.  Unlike ballasting snap track on a mostly flat bed if you try to sprinkle any decent amount on there is mostly falls off.  Anyway better?  I wishing I had just used snap track with WS foam track bed.

BaltoOhioRRfan

Try brushing some WS Scenic Cement on the slope then SPRINKLE not POUR ballest ont he glue, let tdry. If done right the ballast on the slope once the glue has dried brush some more cement on carefully and sprinkle on some more, and repeat until you have what you desire.

Thats my plan for doing it and some tests i've done have shown it to be effective.
Emily C.
BaltoOhioRRFan
B&O - America's #1 Railroad.

My Collection on FB - https://www.facebook.com/EmilysModelRailroad
My Collection on YouTube = https://www.youtube.com/user/BORRF

Running Bear

All the track on my layout is Bachmann EZ-Track. I tried to tackle the ballast problem in the same manner you're trying. The result was kinda like watching an ice skating hippopotamus. It wasn't pretty. What I finally did (and what I should have done in the first place) was pile the ballast between the rails then drag my finger through it, forcing it over the rails on either side. It would slide down the slope and collect at the bottom. I simply added more to the sides until it looked like what I wanted. I soaked it with alcohol dripped on from a glue bottle followed by a 50/50 mix of white glue and water, also dripped on. DON'T SQUIRT IT! I then allowed it to dry for 12 hours. The photos of the results speak for themselves.

Anyone who doesn't believe this is EZ-Track can come and look for themselves. If you can conclusively prove that it isn't EZ-Track I will pay for your gas!

Running Bear

hgcHO

The Old Man

Thank you both for the replies and especially to KCS 1 for taking the time to post your pictures.  KCS 1 if you first piles the ballast in the center and let it pour over, and there is nothing sticky on the slopes, doesn't it mostly roll off?  Those slopes are pretty steep.

Running Bear

It makes a pile at the bottom and piles up, getting thinner as it gets to the top. What you end up with is ballast that looks more natural instead of looking like it's defying gravity.
Running Bear

mechanic

Nice job there KCS1!
It has shown me that my e-z track can be ballasted and I will give it a go!
Thanks.
Eric
Schutzhund:because you can't always have your .45 auto with you.

Running Bear

Just make sure that you keep the ballast and glue away for the moving parts of the turnouts as I did. If you're the slightest bit careless around them it can make your life difficult.
Running Bear

SteamGene

Very nice.  Steam locomotives would look good on that.   ;D
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"