News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

sounds -general

Started by grumpy, August 23, 2008, 12:50:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumpy

Iwould like to add some general activity sounds to my layout . I find that most layouts are too quiet and could use some sounds to add some more realism and develop some atmosphere. Any ideas on how to accomplish this.
Don

Yampa Bob

Don
Taking a cue from movie sound effects people, I record sounds on a portable cassette recorder, then transfer them to my computer via Sound Recorder as .wav files.  Then I burn them on a CD as tracks. 

For sound effects:  Shower running for rain, faucet running for waterfall or rapids, cars going by on the county road, thunder storms, dogs barking etc. You can even mix the sounds together on one wav file, so you hear both the rain and thunder.  I also have a microphone connected to the computer for various artificial effects.

For a .wav file of only 10 seconds duration, Sound Recorder can copy and paste to expand the sound to 1 minute or longer.

Search the net for ".wav files", lots of sounds available, including train sounds. Avoid sounds in "Real Audio".  Wav files are best uncompressed, but are fairly large file size.  No matter, CDs hold a lot of bytes.   
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

Paul W.

Don,
Here is another choice on adding sound:

http://www.ittproducts.com/index.html

These can be set for intermitten, trigger activated, or constant looping. I'm actually using one in a large scale car that I'm powering off batteries, but for a stationary layout, he has transformers. You can listen to samples on his website

Good luck
Happy Steamin'

Paul

pdlethbridge

Bob, if I want to record sounds of thunder, I use the bathroom ;D

grumpy

PD
If you want the sound of a cannon going off let me know.
Don

grumpy

Thanks for the information guys.
Don 8)

Yampa Bob

There is more information in another "sound" thread regarding off board sound.  I plan to spend a couple days in Denver next week, visiting the Colorado Railroad Museum and Caboose Hobbies.  I hope to find some great videos/audios of railroads and sound effects.
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.