News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

DCC to DC conversion

Started by 2 8 0, August 23, 2008, 08:29:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

2 8 0

???

I have the opportunity to buy a new DCC installed bachmann 2 8 0 Spectrum series loco. I do not have DCC and don't want to go that way.
Can I rewire the loco (ie remove the DCC components) and plug plain old 12 volt DC off the wheel pick ups into the existing motor?

Thanks.

ajp3751

The DCC spectrum 2-8-0 runs just fine on DC without removal of the decoder.

2 8 0

???

I had heard somewhere that the train won't run on 12 volt DC and I will fry the electrics because DCC uses AC current. I don't want to use DCC gear at all. I just want to plug my DCC loco into a 12 volt DC power supply.

Are you sure that this is OK?

Thanks

Pacific Northern

Quote from: 2 8 0 on August 23, 2008, 09:31:38 AM
???

I had heard somewhere that the train won't run on 12 volt DC and I will fry the electrics because DCC uses AC current. I don't want to use DCC gear at all. I just want to plug my DCC loco into a 12 volt DC power supply.

Are you sure that this is OK?

Thanks

The Spectrum equiped DCC steamers come with a small plug that enables you to remove the DCC unit and insert the plug into the pc board.

The Bachmann DCC decoder will sense the power supply and react accordingly. It will run on DCC if you have it or if it senses a DC unit will run on that.

It is not really necessary to remove the decoder but you can if you are worried. Some do, some don't.
Pacific Northern

Yampa Bob

2 8 0,

Trust us. Hook up a DC power pack to the tracks, put the loco on the tracks and run it. Don't be taking stuff out, it's not necessary.  Someday you may decide to buy a Bachmann EZ Command and use the loco on DCC.  Also, you will maintain a better value for the loco by leaving it as is.

I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

2 8 0

:)

Well that is was too easy!!! No doubt I will go DCC in the future, so I wont remove decoders etc from the train.

My son is playing with the locos/ trains that I had when I was a child and the ability to run DCC locos alows me to upgrade for myself and him.

Once again thanks for the help.

SteamGene

BTW, a train consists of two things:  motive power and rear marker lights.  It's possible for a locomotive to be a train. It's also possible for a locomotive and 100 cars NOT to be a train.  But by and large, a train is a locomotive, some cars, and something at the end to show it's the end of the train:  caboose, observation car, FRED (though the first two need marker lights to be showing the end of a train.).
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"