News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

cliff

Started by SteamGene, August 23, 2008, 07:32:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteamGene

I want to construct a cliff - close to vertical, carved by a small river.  In actual height the cliff is close to one foot and will be visible for about three feet. I've already put down support for plaster cloth, but what I want to construct is essentially a sandstone/limestone cliff.  It will curve with the river and is close to the edge of the layout. 
Any suggestions as to what to use?  How to do?  I think it's much too large for Woodland Scenic rock castings.  I'd like to cast in place and carve - or something like that.  The major problem is that I will have to work over a curved bridge and tracks. 
Sometimes scenery should go in place first - and then tracks.   :o
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

the Bach-man

Dear Gene,
Try these:
http://www.cripplebush.net/
They look great!
Have fun!
the Bach-man

SteamGene

Thanks.  I've never heard of them before. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

Tim

Thanks Mr Bachmann

and thanks Gene for asking the question.

This solves my problem.

Tim Anders
Souderton, PA

gotta get some cliff hangers- -

hotrainlover

I had a rock area that I needed done...
I made a mold from a neighbors big "Rock" from his front yard.  I then used "Mountain in Minutes" that I applied and held up to create a rock face.  I peeled the mold off slowly.....  It looks great from the distance.....  I have not colored  the formation yet.  I wish I had taken pictures of this for when I am older.  (To remember the technique.)

Others have used the spray insulation that expands, then they carve the stone to fit....

SteamGene

To give you an idea of the area, the cliff is seven inches tall and about 37 inches long, curving with about a 30 inch radius.  The rubber rocks look very nice - also quite expensive! 
I've never done a rubber mold, but might try it. 
Fortunately, for most of the scene, only one side is visible. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

DRW807

Gene;

Go to your local building supply and look for broken ceiling tiles for dropped ceilings. They make a nice sandstone/shale/limestone cliff when broken and are inexpensive when broken.

Dan

Yampa Bob

Harold has information on his site about breaking pieces of ceiling tile to make rocks. I plan to try that on my layout.

The spray foam sounds interesting also.
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.