News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Mr Bach Man - Site Format

Started by Yampa Bob, August 24, 2008, 07:29:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yampa Bob

First to dispel a myth. Dial up is not on the endangered list, nor is it likely to become extinct.  In fact, with people moving away from the big cities, far into the country, dialup is actually increasing.  These people can't get broadband, and most, like me, can't afford satellite. My ISP informed me that their dialup customers have greatly increased over the last few years.

Don't believe the "ratios" posted on  the net, these polls are posted by broadband companies and are obviously biased.  My research indicates about 20% currently with dialup, and increasing for reasons stated above.

I don't mind waiting 1 to 3 minutes for each page to load, it's due to the javascript sidebar menu. 

What I do mind is the invasive scripting that literally locks up my computer, even to the extent of destroying the registry, and having to reformat the hard drive.  I have to delete my cookies 4 or 5 times a day, sometimes during a session, just to post, preview, modify, log out and in, etc.

Even after I close my browser, and disconnect from the internet, the Bachmann link remains on the task bar for several minutes, with Windows trying to digest and close the scripts.  I have 3 late model computers, 2 with 98SE and 1 with XP.  It even locks up the XP frequently.

I was a webmaster for 4 business sites, including one international foundation,  for many years, I have never seen such a mess, and your scripting is highly invasive. It controls not only this site, but my computer as well.  This problem has persisted for many weeks, it seems the more it's tinkered with, the worse it gets.

I am just one dispensable member, but I am a very loyal Bachmann customer, and I  feel I am providing worthwhile contributions to this board.  However due to the increasing problems, I may not hang around too much longer.  I, for one, am tired of it.

If Bachmann can afford to lose roughly 20% to 25% of its audience, then so be it and I'll move on.  Please scrap this "glamorous" format and go back to something that was working just fine. Consider it an experiment that failed. 

By the way, this is the only site I have these problems with.  Even those with extensive graphics, scripting, flash and applets, although slower, work just fine. I spend a lot of time on the forum, but having to reboot several times a day is irritating.

As far as I'm concerned, this new format is all show and no go, and does not speak well for Bachmann quality. 

Respectfully, and Thank You
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

SteamGene

I'll second that motion.  Change or tie the person responsible to the rails!
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Santa Fe buff

I'll third, lets make this a petition. Not kidding, although noting wrong for me, one thing I WILL NOT STAND FOR, is to see countless members tossed out like trash just for some stupid dumb new site, can't you just go back to the old one? It wasn't all that hard? After all, isn't the new site supposed to be USER FRIENDLY!? Well if you ask me it not even 300,000,000,000,000,000,000 miles close to even being NEAR USER FRIENDLY!
WE'VE ASKED IN SEVERAL OTHER TOPICS, PLEASE DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT!
>:(

- Joshua Bauer

Yampa Bob

Bachmann owns the site, and provides this forum as a free service for us to exchange ideas and help others. I'm sure this is at considerable expense and effort, including the Bach-man's time to administer it.  Therefore it is not our place to "petition" for change or improvement.

I visit web sites for one reason, information.  Not to be entertained, impressed or patronized.  A good webmaster realizes you must optimize the site for the weakest surfer, otherwise you lose customers.  "Leave no one behind" is my motto. 

Personally I feel the site is discriminating against me, and others with dialup. If I am forced to abandon the forum, everyone loses.  The forum, the new members seeking help, those needing inspiration and support, even a few friends made along the way.  The biggest loser is myself, as I thoroughly love and enjoy the forum, it's my only connection to other modelers.

I always say what I mean, and mean what I say, and I don't beat around the bush about it.  I'm sure the webmaster is very capable, but perhaps this time it is way over his head.  The new site should never have gone up without thorough testing, including interface with dialup.  I think it was doomed from the start.

With my increasingly failing eyesight, my only motivation is to do for others, even if I can't do for myself.  Believe me, it isn't easy, but it gives me a purpose. 

I'm sure thousands of hours have been devoted to developing the new site, and Bachmann may adopt an attitude of "This is the way it will be, take it or leave it". If so, I can find another, perhaps better purpose in life, but I will miss my friends.
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

Woody Elmore

I personally was happy with the old website. I have high speed fiber optic service so loading is not a problem. But I am still getting "Timed Out" errors if I go to post something. I also find the red sidebar to be very distracting.

Terry Toenges

I'm always getting those timed out errors.
There have been more messages that I've posted that haven't even shown up because of the time out errors.
I'm not the computer wiz that Yampa is, but now I 'm worried what the Bachboard is doing with my computer.
Feel like a Mogul.

gwfan

Agreed, still getting "timed out" messages and although I am on broadband I can't use my 64 bit internet connection because Bachmann site uses Active X and it won't download the update?? Don't understand this but Yampa Bob will - no doubt. Please go back to original site.

Chris
Modelling BR (W) late 1950's in 4mm 00 and large scale garden using Bachmann and LGB 1:20.3/ 1:22

Pacific Northern

The site within the site concept is full of never ending problems. Go back to the site before the last enhancements.

At present it is hit or miss when visiting the site.
Pacific Northern

richG

I see no problems with the new site. I always log out out after putting in a message. I only log in in when I need to post something. Works everytime. The only time I had a time out was when I stayed logged in because I went to get a coffee. When I came back, I finished the message and got a time out when I tried to post. I was about to get some Cheese to go with my Whine and That told me I have to adapt and change my ways. No big deal.

The new site is more informative than the old site.

Chage is inevitable, struggle is an option.

Cheers

Rich

Santa Fe buff

Well, petitions may be a bit extreme, but surely, Bachmann must do something...

They must switch back, they must do this stuff, if they can't, I'll be fine with it, but I hope Bachmann does something. Well, I won't really say much, but I do agree. Although it's nice, it's only okay with my computer due to it being new and having the updates such has newer versions of Active X. Don't say I don't know what having an old and hard computer is like, we used our crashed 98' before this!

Well I hate to lose a fellow member  :(, so I hope something is done to resolve this.
- Joshua Bauer

Dusten Barefoot

Well I like the new site; it is much more organized, and is like a file cabinet. I know that some of ya'll with slow internet can't get into the site so good.  I would for one like to see all the special effects gone so that loading could be faster, you could deal with out the little movies and product thingy that rotates. Really I would like to have the old site back, but with the best of organization, so I won't have to scroll all the way back to find an On30 topic.
I know I pester the hell out of everone over a 4-6-0
E.T.&.W.N.C, TWEETSIE, LINVILLE.
www.tweetsierailroad.com
http://www.johnsonsdepot.com/crumley/tour1.htm
#12 and 10-Wheelers
Black River & Southern
Rock On & Live Strong
Dusten

The Old Man

Quote from: Yampa Bob on August 24, 2008, 07:29:42 PM
If Bachmann can afford to lose roughly 20% to 25% of its audience, then so be it and I'll move on. 
Where does this "statistic" come from?

the Bach-man

Dear All,
It appears that the timing out problem has been resolved. I can at least report that I am not having it at the moment. How about you?
Have fun!
the Bach-man

rogertra

Quote from: the Bach-man on August 28, 2008, 12:32:27 AM
Dear All,
It appears that the timing out problem has been resolved. I can at least report that I am not having it at the moment. How about you?
Have fun!
the Bach-man

I'll confirm that for the past two days the following have worked everytime with no problems.

1)  "Mark All Read".

2)  Quoting.

3)  Preview.

4)  Post.

No other problems encountered.  :)

mhampton

I bet if it works like it's supposed to, you won't get many comments.  It's kind of like a restaurant - people are more than willing to fill out the comment cards if they have a complaint, but how many pass on compliments?

Mike